Quick question regarding refurb MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kauai, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Helping my Grandmother decide on buying a MBP.

She is absolutely set on the 15 inch screen and is against the MBA, so the choice now is between these two models:

$1,529.00
    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel i7
    Originally released October 2011
    15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M

$1,659.00
    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core i7
    Originally released April 2010
    15.4-inch LED-backlit antiglare Hi-Res widescreen display (1680 x 1050 pixel)
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

The reason I'm considering the '10 MBP is because of the antiglare screen. She lives in her motorcoach so there's a lot of light that comes in through the windows.

But obviously the processor and graphics card aren't nearly as good. But for her uses, which mostly consist of web browsing, E-Mail, Video Streaming and some light graphics, which would be the best for her? Would the Graphics card be that much worse?

2. simsaladimbamba

The 2010 model will more than suffice her needs, spec wise, but does she have good eyesight (even corrected), as the HighRes display of the 2010 model has a higher pixel density than the 2011 model?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You don't state the source...Are these Apple refurbs? If so, you can rely on them being top notch.

Personally, I would go with the 2011 model, purely and simply because it's more up to date.

Either of them will easily meet your Grandmothers needs though.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I play RAGE on medium/high settings in full 1440x900 resolution on my MacBook Air 1.7ghz i7 with HD 3000 graphics with no jittering or hangs...

I play RAGE with HD 3000 graphics

RAGE.

HD 3000

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Either of those two options are light years more than what your grandmother would ever need. Just get the cheaper of the two and call it a day!

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

while the anitglare has a higher resolution it also makes things like menu fonts smaller and maybe harder to read for someone without good eye sight

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple refurbs are excellent, just like new once Apple finishes with them.

Either of the two you have listed are a good choice.

The preference I have would be the one with anti-glare. It's crisp and sharp, with great color quality and easier on the eyes.

Prior to the super glossy, mirror-like glass, reflective Apple laptop displays, every laptop sold came standard with anti-glare, as do all professional laptops sold today.

Consumer laptops tend to have glossy since shiny toys sell.

Good Luck.

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

And that's what Universal Access is for.

On top of that, the simple solution would be to change the system resolution in System Preferences. Why ever does nobody ever think to do such a simple thing? I run my MacBook Air at 1280x800 at times quite swell.

9. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

First off Apple refurbs are great products and before they are even put up for sale Apple goes threw every machine to make sure it is in perfect working order and is reliable. Plus when you buy refurb you may get some bonus ware or software that the previous owner bought and paid for and is still on the computer. That being said I would go with the 2011, glossy screens are fine, I use one, and it is both cheaper and newer and is far more than capable for what your grandmother needs the machine to do.

10. simsaladimbamba

Because it looks abysmal to lower the resolution below the native resolution on a TFT.

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I have this stupid feeling that a person with "bad eyes" wouldn't notice such.

[​IMG]

12. simsaladimbamba

I have bad eyes and use glasses to correct those. In 2010 I had to use computers without my glasses for two weeks (I lost them during a drunken voyage) and thus had to lower the resolution on all the displays I used. I could see better now, but I still saw how abysmal it looked to me. But maybe I spend too much time in front of displays anyway.

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You have bad eyes too? And you created that avatar..:eek:

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You're not going to get anything "bonus" from the previous owner. Machine is set back to factory default and boots into setup just like a brand new computer.

15. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Actually if you search the forums you will find several people who have purchased refurb units from apple and received the software that the previous owner had on there.

16. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have heard of bonus hardware but not bonus software. Like if the computer is stated to have 4GB and it comes with 8GB or comes with a bigger hard drive, etc.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My eyes are just fine! By the way, that's a picture of David Letterman, right? :D

18. Mojo1, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

As others have noted the less expensive MBP is way more computer than your grandma will ever need.

I recommend considering the lower resolution display for people with eyesight issues. I am 57 with reading glasses tuned for use with computer displays. The high-resolution LED backlit MBA displays give me terrible eyestrain and a headache. It could be the LED backlight, the resolution or a combination of the two. I've been using CRT and CCFL/LED LCD displays since the 1990s and it's the first time that I have had a problem with a display.

My 13" MBP display also gave me problems at first, although not as serious. This makes me think that in my case I have trouble with some LEDs as well as the high resolution. The display is better with some calibration adjustments but I avoid using it for long periods of time, preferring an external display. I would expect the current 15" MBP to be a higher-quality panel, but I have read more than a few posts by people having a problem with the screen resolution. And they weren't all old farts like me. Fortunately, Apple has a decent return policy.

Spend $35 on the excellent Power Support anti-glare film to eliminate reflections. (http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/macbook-pro-15/anti-glare-film.html) It isn't the cheapest but it's the best that I have used or heard about. The film does not cause color shifts or introduce artifacts like less expensive films. I compared it to my 15" MBP with a matte display and I could not see a difference.

If you apply the film as soon as you open the MBP box you won't have to clean the display; at the most you may have to remove a few dust specks with a clean microfiber cloth.

19. pmz macrumors 68000

There are no such things are "bad eyes"...only "idiots without glasses"

:D