Quick question regarding replacements in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cheezewhiz, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Cheezewhiz macrumors member

Hey guys. I bought an iPhone 3g from my friend fairly recently. However, I have noticed that dust has started to collect underneath the screen. Also, I'm having some issues with the backlight where it just simply goes out and does not come back on even after playing with the settings. I live in Ottawa, and there is no Apple store nearby. What are my options? I have taken my laptop to an Apple authorized repair shop in the city, but will they be able to replace my phone? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Considering you a fair trek to the nearest apple store, and any authorized dealer would probably not touch the iPhone, I say take it to Rogers and see what they can do... If you're friend bought it through them you might need to get a repair/replacement under his name though. (It's a long-shot but could work).

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Nope, that won't be necessary.

Call Rogers/Fido and give explain the situation. They'll ask for IMEI and send you a replacement. You will have to send your defective one back.

4. Cheezewhiz thread starter macrumors member

Even if I am not the original owner? I am a Rogers subscriber, and so was my friend. I simply bought the phone off of him.

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It doesn't matter. Even if they give you a hard time in the iPhone tech support department, hang up and call back and ask to make account changes. Let the agent know you would like to add new hardware to the account. She will ask for your IMEI and then you can call back into the iPhone tech support department and get the replacement.

This should work as I used to work for Rogers and I've done this a couple of times because Rogers kept sending me defective phones ;)

6. macdim macrumors 6502

You can also call Apple. They will replace the phone for you.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

No, don't do it through Apple because they want the phone first. With Rogers, you get an iPhone sent to you and you have to send the defective one back.

8. macdim macrumors 6502

This is true, but it IS an option. I did have my iPhone replaced by Rogers and everything went perfectly. Asked me what the issue was, no questions asked had a "new" one sent out, minus accessories. Included in the box was a return label and an empty, padded box for the old one.

New phone arrived in 2 days.

9. Cheezewhiz thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both for your help. I called Rogers today, and they are sending me a new phone. They just added the iPhone to my account no questions asked. However, the guy i was speaking to seemed to know nothing about iPhones getting dust under the screen, and was convinced that they were dead pixels. Either way, I'll hopefully have my new phone in a few days :)