Quick question regarding spyware

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ppbone, Apr 12, 2011.

1. ppbone macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new to these forums and I have heard that this is the best website for everything mac so I thought I'd register and start asking questions. I've witnessed this twice on my MacBook and I thought it was a little suspicious. After visiting an online store to look at some jeans (7 For All Mankind to be exact), a day or so later I started seeing 7 For All Mankind brand jean ads on a couple of websites I visited. This is weird because those websites have ads on them yet they're never about those jeans, so I thought it was just a coincidence. The other day, I was looking online for a good Mac maintenance software and stumbled up MacKeeper, I didn't buy the software or anything, but just visited the site and what do I know! Next thing I see is MacKeeper ads on the same websites I frequent daily.

Is this some sort of spyware? Or is google watching us all like usual lol. Should I be worried?

Thank you.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's probably a browser cookie or Google/whatever other ad network logging your traffic.

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Browser cookie. Nothing to be worried about :) If it makes you uncomfortable, give your cookies a clear out and be on your merry way.

4. ppbone thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...I just did a comparison of the sites I visited on my normal browser and a browser I don't use, and those same ads (MacKeeper right now) were there on the browser I don't use as well.