Quick Question Regarding Tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mnsportsgeek, Mar 7, 2011.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I'm sure someone will be able to answer this pretty quickly but google wasn't much help to me so here goes. If I leave the tethering option turned on when I am not actively using the tethering, will I be draining battery? I know it goes down pretty quick when you are using it, but if it's not being used and sitting idle will it drain battery? Just want to know if I should be turning it off between uses or if it's unnecessary.

2. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

I believe it turns off after 20 minutes since it last had an active connection... but I could be wrong. Might be worth testing it out to see if that is the case.

3. macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

Good question. I'm not able to tether for a few more days.. But what I've read is that it will shut down automatically when not in use. By "in use" that would most likely mean when something isn't actively WIFI'd (word?) into it. let's say a laptop is wifi'd into with no packet's passing, that's not to say it's not still connected. If it goes "idle" (i.e. to sleep) then the tethered connection would most likely be broken until it wakes up again.

4. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

I can't speak in definite terms because I haven't done enough research to back up my claim, but it appears that there is no significant battery consumption when the hotspot feature it turned on, but without any connections. I forget to turn mine off all the time and the severe battery drain always ends when I stop actually using data, not when I intentionally disable the the hotspot.

5. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

Well it does not turn off after 20 minutes but I have left it on for the past 3 hours and have noticed no noticeable changes to my battery. My guess is that Apple implemented it the right way, as always.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced