quick question. swapping HDD from 6/09 mbp to 4/10 mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sjm300, May 5, 2010.

1. sjm300 macrumors member

Is it possible to swap HDD's from a 6/2009 MBP to a 4/2010 MBP? ( without doing a fresh install )

my new 4/2010 MBP is arriving today and I have a 6/2009 MBP that I'm giving to my fiancee. I did upgrade the HDD to a 640gb. I know I can just swap the HDD. but I'm talking a swap where it goes from one computer to the other. I DONT want to do a fresh install right now. Ill do that a in a couple months. I know mac's aren't like PC's where you need a crap ton of firmware for each piece of hardware.

I did see a like a week or 2 ago that someone posted how to do it, but I can't find it.

thank you in advance

2. Aar0n macrumors newbie

It wont work. It will probably stuck on the apple logo

I think its due to the different chipset (drivers) and the OS from the '09 MBP doesnt work on the new ones

The best thing you'll have to do is to run the installation from the disc given to you, without formatting

3. sjm300 thread starter macrumors member

so what all needs to be done?

4. Aar0n macrumors newbie

Is yours a 15" or a 13" MBP

If its a 15", i'd suggest that you do a clean installation.
    The problem is that even though i did a REinstallation, it doesnt switch to the Intel HD Graphics it keeps staying on the 330m even on idle, after i did a clean installation it works perfectly fine with switching and all.

5. sjm300 thread starter macrumors member

15" 2.8c2d MBP to a 15" 2.66 i7 MBP ( top of the line 15's for both versions )

6. matoch macrumors member

A fresh install is usually the ideal situation but I'd bet that the swap will work fine. I'm basing this on the fact that if you put one a laptop into target disk mode and boot off that hard drive things have always worked just fine for me. I've hooked up various macbooks and macbook pro's to my mac pro and have never encountered a problem.

That being said if you try it be prepared for the worst just in case.

7. ssn637 macrumors 6502

I swapped the 750 GB Western Digital HDD from my 13" mid-2009 MBP to the 2010 13" model and Mac OS X started up after an unusual delay. Everything worked just fine, but when I checked the system settings, for example, the MCP89 mainboard SATA interface wasn't recognized. I think the interface was also restricted to 1.5 GB/s. So I did a clean install with the DVD provided with the unit and all was good. The Mac OS X Version of 10.6.3 is also different, which probably means it's been modified for the new models.

8. matoch macrumors member

^^ sounds like this is the person to listen too.

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I'm in a similar situation.

I have a mid 2009 13" MBP with 256 ssd, I just bought an April 2010 13" MBP with a 320gb / 5200 rpm drive.

I want to put the 256ssd drive in the new 13", doesn't sound like it's going to be as easy as just swapping the drives? Or is it possible between these two models.

If have to do the reinstall, then I back up my ssd, swap the drives and then reinstall OSX on each hard drive, right?