Quick question - temp Win 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by charpi, Jul 28, 2011.

1. charpi macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Just need some opinions, I have just bought the new Macbook Air but I need Win7 for a week long course next week. I have no long term plans to keep the Win7. I need some ideas on which methods are the most convenient.

1. Bootcamp Win7, then delete the partition after the course, but I'm afraid of messing the partitions up and end up messing with my OSX partition too.

2. VirtualBox Win7, I'm afraid that it would be slower, moreover, I have experience that some hidden files take up lots of space, I only have 128GB.

3. Borrow a PC. Leaning towards this one now, but I guess I would need good convincing skills, (and maybe "trade" my Air for a week) :(

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

2. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

Definitely the best. I, too, was intimidated by things like partitioning, but I did it because I am a developer and wanted to have a Lion developer preview partition. Not as scary as it appears.
    It won't be much slower, although don't set it to use all your RAM, that would screw you over for a bit. I have Win7 installed in VMware with 2 of my 4 GB of RAM, and it runs fine. This may not be your best option, though, as 128 GB is a bit small.
    Nah, never trust anyone else with YOUR Mac ;P Kidding, but I wouldn't recommend...all kidding aside, I think even Windows runs better on a Mac than it does on a PC.