Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbookProSF

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I have a imac G3 I copied my downloaded movie Cars that I purchased via I tunes onto the iMac's hard drive. The hope was to be able to play a few movies every now and then and let him (my son) look at a few PBS web sites. But the movie will barely play it skips but the movies sound is playing just great.

Is my mac just to old?

I appreciate any help you all can give!

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
no dont convert it yet. youll lose quality. Handbrake only converts DVD format to mpeg4. you can use QuickTime Pro or VisualHub to compress the resolution and file size.

maybe the iMac doesnt meet the minimum specs to play movies downloaded from the iTunes Store. what is the processor speed? iTunes movies are 640x480 so maybe the iMac is not powerful enough to play the video smoothly. search for the minimum specs on Apple's website.

macbookProSF

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Bad news

Here is what apple had for the requirements...

Additional Video Requirements
1GHz G4 processor or better

A little to slow. I do have quick time pro, I will give it a try.

Thx

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
ok good to hear we figured it out. use the 320 x 240 QVA setting for MPEG4 in QuickTime Pro. this is what the resolution the movies from iTunes used to be.

macbookProSF

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
You rule

you rule!

Thank you so
much,

Now if only you could tell me the apple tv software update will be tonight.

LOL

Thanks again

macbookProSF

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
no go

Quicktime Pro will let me open the MP4 but it will not let me convert it into anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.