Quick question to the editors out there

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frozi, Jun 14, 2012.

1. frozi, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

frozi macrumors member

I will be purchasing a MBPR with 16 gb of ram. As much as I want to upgrade both the processor and flash storage, I can't do it. What do you guys think is more important to do? Upgrade the processor from 2.6ghz to 2.7ghz, or upgrade the flash storage from 512 gb to 768 gb?

I will be purchasing an external with 1 or 2 tb on it. So I'm thinking just upgrade the processor. Or is internal storage just as important to keep this laptop running well, while editing hd footage?

2. simsaladimbamba, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

simsaladimbamba

The 100 MHz difference will not make that much impact, it is fairly negligible. As you use external storage for your footage, maybe invest the saved money in to something else (external keyboard with numpad and such, more HDDs for backing up).

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive capacity":
    It is recommended, to have 10 to 20 % of the SSD/HDD's capacity unused.
    The above links also apply to SSDs.

3. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I don't think you'll really notice the processor bump. If you need the space go for that (but it is a really expensive increase in price). I would get neither and just spend the money on an external Thunderbolt drive. Or if your really looking to burn some money spend it on the Thunderbolt Display apple sells.

4. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

If you must pick one, I'd go for the space. But honestly, I'd just grab the 16GB RAM upgrade and call it a day. Unless you are doing a lot of debayering or some intense editing, the processor bump is negligible for the amount you'd have to pay.

TB RAID or USB 3.0 drive would be a better investment in my opinion.

5. blueicedj macrumors 6502

Links are broken, and the storage drive isn't an HDD it's an SSD

6. frozi thread starter macrumors member

I dont know a lot about cache. I've just always been told "cache is king". I also read somewhere, the bump in cache is where you will see a difference from being able to watch red footage well to not at all. Could that just be someone justifying them upgrade the processor? But really it's not noticeable...

I like the sounds of upgrading neither and setting myself up with possibly raid.

Tb external. Niiiiiiiiiice

7. simsaladimbamba

Thanks for the link check. And as that bit is only a preformatted text, I forgot to change from HDD to SSD.
    But the term "memory" still does not apply to SSDs.

8. frozi thread starter macrumors member

when you say intense editing...I will be editing in HD as well as using after effects, then importaning that into avid. Is that considered intense editing?

Or am I good at sticking with 2.6 ghz

9. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I think you are good sticking with the 2.6. Sure, you may see a small bump in performance, but I don't think its worth the cash.

Personally, I edit RED raw files (where CPU speed is needed for debayering) and don't plan on upgrading anything besides the memory to 16GB. Yea, the additional processor speed would help, but I'm gonna hit a wall with performance anyway....a few hundred mhz isn't gonna have that big an impact on a 2 hour render ;)

Completely up to you, but I think you will see diminishing returns as you throw more money at upgrades.

10. frozi thread starter macrumors member

get reply, thanks for your opinion. Since I wont be upgrading the flash storage... what type of external would you recommend? im thinking thunderbolt g-raid over usb 3.0