Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kakkoiimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Paradise
Im a newbie to macs... I love my macbook though. anyway, as I was praising my mac to a friend, he asked about touch screen macs. Are there any macs with a touch screen. Has apple ever put out a tablet computer? I am just wondering...thanks for any insight.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If you don't count the Newton, then no, Apple hasn't released a tablet computer.

They've had various patent filings and prototypes over the years, but no actual products.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Not yet, but most likely someday! Apple tends to not release something until they know they have it right. Tablet PCs with Windows Tablet Edition are alright, but has tons of room for improvement. They also might be waiting for the market to grow, right now the market is tiny.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Yes, as the previous poster said, the newton is the closest thing Apple has ever done but is long gone now.

There have been quite a few rumors about a new Apple touch-screen device, but it is unclear whether it is an ipod, tablet, or some other device and its release is far from certain.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
There is a site that would install touchscreens on G4 and G5 iMacs that I ran across awhile back. If I find the link I'll post it.

Her it is: Troll Touch. But they are insanely expensive.

kakkoiimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Paradise
...those are crazy expensive... thanks for all the help...i swear i can ask any question in these forums and get quick and accurate answers. Thanks a ton

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.