Quick question when conviently web browsing can I download frow random websites???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by icypsp, Dec 28, 2008.

1. icypsp macrumors newbie

Can the ipod touch 2nd gen download from any random website?
    I tried once with megaupload rapid share and some random download link.
    They did not work. I figured it was because it needs to be upgraded. Is this true? If no does anyone think that eventually the ipod touch will be able to download from random websites? I personally find that to be very convient when web browsing without my computer.
    Thanks for the help
    itouch rules!!! :):):)

2. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

The iPod Touch can't download files from web sites. As implemented on the Touch, Safari has no way to save the files and no way to access them once downloaded if it did.

The only alternative I can think of is to download the files using your computer then transfer them to the Touch using an app like Air Sharing, but it doesn't sound like that's really what you're looking for.

3. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

Two things:

1. Download QuickPWN.

2. Once you JailBroke your iTouch -- open up Cydia on the iTouch, search for "Safari Download Plug-in". Install it. And now you can download pretty much anything from MobileSafari.

- Mason

4. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

At the moment the second generation iPod touch cannot be jailbroken.

5. icypsp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks yall
    yea i own ipod touch 2nd gen
    i dont think that quick pwn will work though
    because for the moment it cannot be jailbroken.

6. marcha macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any experience with using the Instapaper app on their 2G?

http://instapaper.com

It says you can synch bookmarks with Safari to read content in offline mode later. It should save the articles you want to 'read later' in text format and allows you to read while offline after synching with iTunes?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You set up an account with Instapaper, it saves copies of webpages you bookmark on its website, then you run the app on your Touch, which downloads the saved pages onto your Touch so you can read them later when you are offline. The text format is very easy to read, I often save pages to Instapaper even when I'm at my desktop, because it strips away all the extra graphics and fancy formatting that some pages have and lets you concentrate on just the text.

Do try the free version, it's easier to actually try it than having someone explain to you how it works.

8. marcha macrumors newbie

Thanks Night Spring. Can instapaper then also work FROM the iPod Touch, as a sort of download alternative?

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yup, you can create a "read later" bookmark in Safari on your Touch (the steps are a bit complicated but Instapaper comes with clear instructions on how to do it). Then, while you are browsing in Safari on your Touch, you can hit the "read later" bookmark, and the page is saved at the Instapaper website. Exit Safari, start Instapaper, download the page you just saved, and you can read it while offline.