Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
I haven't bothered with this that much, but it still bugs me. Ever since i upgraded to SL, i can see no contextual menus. I can't even see the "More..." option when i right click. I have clamxav installed (sharing files with windows pcs, we don't want them to get accidentally infected right? :p) and im positive that there is a contextual menu installed for that, you know, the "scan with clamxav" option whenever i right click on a file. So, what could be wrong? I know apple changed the way services work, could they just have replaced contextual menus with services? As i said, never really bothered doing a research on that, so i don't know whats going on. A google search didnt help either

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
There are contextual menus in SL & I have never experienced this problem so perhaps someone else will have better advice.... In the meantime one thing I can recommend to narrow the problem down is to log into a new user account & see if the menus are missing in that account. I suspect the new account will be ok, then if so you can start to isolate the problem.

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
Well if contextual menus are present in SL, then i guess a guest account would have them. I can't think of where to start looking for that problem though, they were working fine on leopard. Can anyone point me on some direction?

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Well if contextual menus are present in SL, then i guess a guest account would have them. I can't think of where to start looking for that problem though, they were working fine on leopard. Can anyone point me on some direction?
That's a good place to check (although I have not tried with Simple Finder). Another thing to check is how are you right clicking. Do you have a single button mouse & click it while holding down a key?

Also, is "Secondary click" checked in Sys Prefs > Mouse? What is it set to?

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
Hehe, no there's no problem with the right click it self. Whenever i right click on a file, i get the pop up menu, it just seems like there is nothing under the "Label" tab, shouldnt there be the "More" menu? I tried removing all the contextual menu plugins from either the system folder and the user folder, but nothing happened. This is getting annoying lol

sOwL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Nerd Cave
Actually i've read somewhere that older contextual menu plugins wont work on SL. Can you recommend me any application that you have a working contextual menu for? That way i could try to see if that works.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Yes, Apple removed the old contextual menu infrastructure from the finder in SL. Probably a matter of wanting the finder to be 64 bit and all the old CM plugins being 32 bit.

Supposedly, the SL enhanced Services are supposed to replace them, but it will take time for developers to catch up and the functionality might not be exactly the same.

The big one I use is Graphic Converter, which recently was upgraded to handle contextual menus in SL.

So you'll need to contact the developers of whatever CM plugins you want to use and see if they plan to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.