Quick question (will iPhone 3GS be unlockable?)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Iphoneaustin, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Iphoneaustin macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I just have a quick question. I may be purchasing an iPhone 3GS tomorrow from a friend. He said it's currently on 3.1.3 but needs to be restored. I've been looking around and I'm not sure what baseband is and I'm new to this.

My question is: will it be unlockable if I update to 4.1.2? Untethered/tethered?

Thanks!

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Updating to 4.2.1 means you can not unlock. A jailbreak on 4.2.1 will be untethered.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If he keeps official baseband with IOS 4.2.1, then he can only untethered jailbreak with Greenpois0n. However, if he upgrade his baseband to Ipad baseband 06.15, then he can unlock it with Ultrasn0w 1.2.

4. hackthatphone, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Woah! Stop!

My 3G S is on 4.2.1 and the unlockable 5.13.04 modem firmware.

Don't put ipad baseband on a perfectly good phone if you don't have to.

Use Cydia or TinyUmbrella to research what SHSHs if any you have on file before you screw that phone up.

You'll also need PwnageTool to roll that custom firmware with.

5. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Iphoneaustin, to elaborate slightly on my 1st answer. If the iPhone is currently jailbroken (doesn't matter if it needs to be restored to function) you can update to 4.2.1 w/o updating the baseband by using the SHSH's that yr friend hopefully has stored cia Cydia. Just ask him if it's jailbroken and if he knows what Cydia is.... or try TinyUmbrella to find out yrself.

iPad baseband should really be the last resort for anyone needing an unlock NOW, there are so many disadvantages with that I don't know where to begin =)

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I totally agree that Ipad baseband is the last resort. OP needs to read more about this. Also, as per the 1st thread, OP did not indicate whether the phone is stock or jailbroken. If it is stock, the only way to upgrade to 4.2.1 is through Apple IOS. If it was jailbroken, then OP might get luckly if it has SHSH saved in Cydia.

7. Iphoneaustin thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick answers! Alright so I dont believe the iPhone has been jailbroken before. Is there a way to restore without updating the firmware? This phone MUST be unlocked

8. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

As Crystal stated, a Restore to stock fw 4.2.1 will also give you and a baseband that currently can NOT be unlocked. No way around that if it hasn't been jailbroken before

9. Iphoneaustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Unless I put the iPad thing on? My friend also has a 3G would that be any different? Neither have been jailbroken.

10. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

This back and forth is useless until you get your hands on that phone and determine what exactly is going on with it. Anything else is just speculation.

Why not just get a Verizon phone and then you can throw the unlock part of this equation out the window?

11. Iphoneaustin thread starter macrumors newbie

12. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I understand that. Unfortunately all we can do is guess at your options since you don't have any specifics for us.

13. Iphoneaustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Ask away, I'll be happy to answer any q's regarding the phone

14. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Which version of phone do you have?

If it's a 3G S tell us if it's new or old bootrom.

What firmware and modem firmware is on it?

Is it jailbroken (check for Cydia)?

Hook it up to TinyUmbrella. What SHSHs are you able to retrieve?

What network do you want to use it on?

This will allow us to paint a crystal clear picture for you.

15. Iphoneaustin thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure, how do I figure out which version and how do I figure out which bootrom. It's currently on 3.1.3 but needs to be restored. Not jailbroken. How do I use tinyumbrella? And tmobile. Sorry I'm new haha

16. Iphoneaustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that we have established that the phone has never been jailbroken, the iPad baseband is necessary , correct?