quick question with GPS and data usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by halisray, Apr 18, 2011.

1. halisray macrumors regular

Hey all,

I have 500MB of data, of which I rarely use because I'm always in a WIFI zone. I've been using the Nike+ GPS app for a week now and I see that it maps my runs. It doesn't load a map (unless I press the button to do so) but it uses the GPS (or location feature or wtv) throughout the run. Is this using my data usage or no? Because I know the GPS doesn't use data because it is like any other gps device.
    I do not look at my mapped run until I'm back at home in my wifi zone.
    Hope this makes sense, thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. victorvu macrumors member

I don't use the app, thus I have no idea. But there's a way to know if it's use data or not.

Go to Settings - General - Usage - Reset Statistics before you go for a run. When you get home, check out the Network Data to see if it's sent or received any data, then you'll know.

or you can turn the Cellular Data completely off to see if that app usable or not.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know that the iPhone uses cell tower triangulation to do the heavy lifting in determining your location, and then it uses the GPS to further pinpoint you.

I can't imagine that using much data though.

5. allbeused macrumors newbie