Quick Question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stridder44, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Stridder44, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I'm helping my father with his iPhone. All I want to do is import music from the iTunes library onto the phone. However, the phone is apparently synced with another library, because when I check the "sync music" box, I get the message, "The iPhone (name) is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?".

He's synced his iPhone with this work computer, but just to back up his iPhone. There isn't any music on it. All I want is the music, I do NOT want to erase all the apps, contacts, photos, etc. I've already successfully managed to back it up, transfer apps, and update his iPhone on the home computer. Now all I want to do is put the music on the iPhone from their home computer WITHOUT deleting everything else (contacts, photos, apps). The way the warning message is worded is such that it says "all content" will be erased. So is the iPhone going to be completely wiped?

The home computer is authorized and logged in to his iTunes account. Again, there is no music on his iPhone as of right now, so if all the message means is that syncing with their home computer's iTunes library will erase the music library off the iPhone, then that's fine. I just don't want to lose the photos, contacts, apps, etc. off the iPhone.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I think the easiest thing to do would be to copy all the 'data' (apps and the like) from the work laptop to the 'new' computer. You can then erase everything on the iPhone, then restoring it. (This should work).

3. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I used to do this.
    Right click copy from iTunes library.
    Right click paste under phone. Or just ctrl v is fine ;)
    I don know if it still works or not. But try it :)

4. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Yeah, it's still giving me the same warning message.

5. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Hm, from some of the comments on that blog it appears that might not work anymore (the blog post itself is from 2008).

6. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I don't believe it. This actually worked for whatever reason. Basically, go into iTunes. Select as many songs as you want in the "Music" section of your iTunes library, right-click and choose "copy", then click on the "Music" section/tab under your plugged in iPhone, and control + V (paste). It manually copies over all the music you've copied to the iPhone's music library without bringing up any warning message or anything else of that nature.

I love Apple, but iTunes and iPhone syncing uses some of the worst design layouts. I really hope to God Apple is reworking iTunes for cocoa/64-bit with much better iOS device management.

Thank you again guys for all your help!