Quick question!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MrBullet, Jan 12, 2012.

1. MrBullet macrumors member

Had an issue with my old iPhone 4. Fortunately it was still under warranty and Apple replaced it with a different handset.

My question is; is the handset I was given brand new or a refurbished handset. I am not bothered apart from the battery life seems to be draining a bit faster than my previous iPhone and I thought that would be a sign of a refurbished model.

Thanks,

B

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

If it came with the full product boxing, etc, then it's a brand new one.
    If it didn't, it's a refurb.

Either way, the unit will still have a brand new battery inside it, since Apple replaces the batteries in refurb units with new ones. :)

It can take a few charge cycles for these Lithium polymer batteries to get up to full capacity, so that could be what you're experiencing, either that or it's all in your head.

3. MrBullet thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your quick reply.

Didn't come fully boxed up because it's only the handset they need to swap, not any of the other components inside the box.

Might just be me getting paranoid. Not really bothered, more interested to see if they dish out new or refurbished models to customers.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Their policy is to replace with refurbished models unless they're all out and will swap out with a new.
    Their refurbs are top notch though. I wouldnt think twice about getting a replacement from Apple.

5. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

I've have apple replacements, and had no problem.
    I think it would be better to get a replacement with new screen and battery, than continue with your issues.

6. MrBullet thread starter macrumors member

7. MrBullet thread starter macrumors member

so are the batteries in the refurbished models brand new?

8. iDeviceBlogger macrumors newbie

You could check the serial number on the original box and compare to the one on your phone under General > About.
    I've had to send my iPhone 4 in twice. First was for a faulty home button - I got a replacement phone back, second was for a faulty flashlight - got the same handset back repaired.
    Hope this is helpful info.

9. MrBullet thread starter macrumors member

It is a completely new handset. Checked serial number and watched them exchange it right in front of me.

10. MacCheetah3 macrumors 6502

Hi
    What he said:
    And... Regarding:
    Somewhat debatable with newer Apple portable devices -- I prefer to think it helps -- calibrating your iDevice's power management system could fix your problem, and it won't hurt to try. The process is the same as calibrating the battery in a portable computer. Basically, completely discharge the battery after being fully charged, then fully recharge without stopping the charging process, and than fully discharge again.

As a quick lesson, the process is really about updating the battery information. Performing these full charge cycles helps the power management system know exactly what levels the battery is truly fully discharged and fully charged. If the battery is charged numerous times in partial cycles, the actual battery capacity information could be incorrect, making the system miscalculate remaining battery power, causing a premature shut down or otherwise inaccurate remaining power percentage.

I hope that made sense, at least enough. :)

You may also find this info useful: About iPhone Batteries

Absolutely agree, unless it has changed in recent years. And... It's not just iPhones that are really nice refurbs. Unless I need the newest of features, I'll be buying all of my Macs refurbed from now on.

11. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

Always a refurb unless you have multiple issues

12. MrBullet thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your incredibly informative reply.