Quick question!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JessM, Nov 5, 2012.

1. JessM macrumors newbie

Hi, just a quick one, I've searched and can't find the answer but sorry if this is one that gets asked a lot...

My iPhone 4 is playing up (flickering screen, menu button not working) so apple have said they will replace it - but, as its not backed up on a pc (other than my parents laptop that's now in Australia) just on iCloud (that got full a few weeks ago) if I save my photos to my laptop will I be able to re-add them and my apps when I get a new phone?

Obviously ill back this up to my laptop! Not bothered so much about apps and data, mainly pics and contacts...

Thanks!

A novice x

2. blaake macrumors regular

when you back it up, it will save all of your photos. You will have to manually re-download all of your apps. (if you paid for some they will say purchased and let you download for free)

3. JessM thread starter macrumors newbie

Will it not delete my stuff if its a different computer than I've backed up on before? (As in restore) thanks for replying!

4. jsw, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You can back up your iPhone to another computer without any issue.

Please note that you need to back it up as opposed to syncing it; then, you'll be able to restore from that backup.

Also, I forget if the backup also transfers purchases from phone, so it might not be a bad idea to do that first prior to backing it up, but I think it transfers purchases when you back it up.

Then, once you get the replacement, restore it from the computer you just backed the old one up to.

Also, be sure to reset the phone when you bring it back - delete everything on it once you've backed it up:

Settings->General->Reset->Erase All Content and Settings

5. JessM thread starter macrumors newbie