Quick question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bmcmahan, Oct 27, 2013.

1. bmcmahan macrumors newbie

I'm looking at picking up the new 13 MBP and was wondering if you think that it will be able to handle video editing, the 15 MBP would run me about $600 more. I will be connecting it to a 24in display. I know the 15in is the best option, but saving $600 would be great also. Thanks for the help.

13 MBP
    2.6GHz, 16GB, 512SSD, Iris 5100

15 MBP
    2.3GHz, 16GB, 512SSD, Iris Pro, GeForce 750

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. floh macrumors 6502

Well, it CAN handle it. But in my opinion, the $600 are very well spent for the GeForce graphics chip. The Iris internal graphics seriously blows, according to most tests, and the graphics chip is really important if you want to do video editing and/or effects, especially when connecting a high resolution external display.

I'd suggest you just go to your nearest Apple Store and play around with FCPX on both MacBooks. The performance boost will be almost the same for Adobe Premiere and other editing Apps. Just so you can see/feel the difference and decide whether it's worth the money.

I personally would pick the dedicated nVidia graphics chip any day.

4. bmcmahan thread starter macrumors newbie

I was leaning towards the 15, but I thought if the 13 would work why not save the money. I think I'll go with the 15 and hopefully it will last a good 5 years. thanks for the help.

5. floh macrumors 6502

You will be very happy with the 15. My last one was up and running 14 hours a day with mostly video editing and physics simulations for 4 years, and even when it broke down (mainboard ruined), I still got $300 for it on eBay. Those things are the most stable investment you can make when it comes to computers.