Quick Question!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beatmaker234, Oct 5, 2015.

1. beatmaker234 macrumors newbie

Sorry not sure if this is suppose to be posted here or not...but I've just received my new 6s and whenever I receive a text it lowers the volume of my music till the text goes away. I've looked all through settings but can't seem to find a way to shut it off, there has to be an easy fix I'm missing. Thanks!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No. That's how it works. The idea is so that you know you got a notification even while your music is playing.

Inside Settings>Sounds there is an option to allow you to change the volume of the notifications with the volume keys. You could turn that on and then turn the notification volume down. But you'd have to remember to turn it back up when your done with your music. This isn't the same as shutting it off though.

You might also try Do Not Disturb. Again, you'd have to remember to turn it back off when done with your music.

3. beatmaker234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I know that's the way it works
    But I was just looking for a way to turn it off permanently as its more annoying than anything.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sorry, wasn't trying to be sarcastic on this one. Just informative. As far as I know there is no way to turn it off permanently short of jailbreaking.

5. beatmaker234 thread starter macrumors newbie

No need to be sorry I know you weren't being sarcastic, and thank you :)

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I wish we could turn this off too. I find it annoying as well.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Does putting the phone on silent not turn this effect off? I know when I'm connected to my car via Bluetooth my volume stays consistent because my phone is always on vibrate.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Wouldn't doing that though also silence OP's music as well?

9. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

This is what I do when I'm driving and don't want the constant hassle of volume changing while I'm listening to my podcasts.

This doesn't mute the music playback.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ugh.

Then that speaks to an entirely different issue (can of worms) regarding Apple and it's idea of how a mute switch is supposed to work.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Not really. If you're playing music with your phone, it's probably intentional. The mute switch is more for the purpose of silencing alerts when you DON'T want your phone making noise.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm just going to simply say here that I have a different opinion of what the mute switch should do and leave it at that. It's been discussed repeatedly here and my mind is unchanged.

Although I do agree that if you are playing music it's probably intentional.

There is a way to override this if jailbroken though. Unfortunately, there is no current jailbreak for 9.x.

13. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Fair enough. The functionality is perfect for my uses.

I'm also eagerly waiting for the jailbreak. And congrats on ditching Sprint! I've been rooting for ya for a loooong time (didn't mention it in the other thread).

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thanks!

It's a relief not to have to be stressed/angry over this anymore!

15. misterwilson macrumors member

Charlotte, NC // Philadelphia, PA // New York, NY
    I've actually had mine stick. Can't remember if it was text messages or another app, but it'll dim the sound and it won't come back at full volume unless I quit the music app and restart.

Weird.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I know the frustration as I've given Sprint two tries and luckily had my trusty AT&T to fall back on each time.

The first was quite a few years ago in the Northern Virginia/DC area. Terrible. I tried them again early this year here in Wisconsin and they've definitely improved but are nowhere near where they need to be. Weird thing is my girlfriend has been with them almost the entire time and never has a bad thing to say.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

In th future, you may find that it's more helpful/beneficial to have thread titles that actually describe the issue you're having.