Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weddlec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I am having a major brain fart. At some point in the last few years there was a feature that was added to either the new OS or new hardware generation of Macs that would use a Mac's discrete GPU (if it had one) to help boost CPU performance.

1. What was this called?
2. When did this get added?

Thanks, sorry if this isn't the right place for this.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I think you might be thinking of:

System Preferences001.jpg

Uncheck the "Automatic graphics switching" in the Energy Saver System Preference which will cause the system to use the dGPU full time.

Reactions: 997440

weddlec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I think you might be thinking of:

View attachment 690112

Uncheck the "Automatic graphics switching" in the Energy Saver System Preference which will cause the system to use the dGPU full time.

It wasn't that. I'm not having a problem, I just remember that at 1 particular keynote Apple was introducing a feature of either a new OS or hardware that used the graphics card to boost CPU performance when the computer was only needing the integrated graphics. This feature had a name and I couldn't remember what it was.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
The only other thing that I can think of is "Metal" for newer computers to boost graphics performance.

Here is a search result:
https--duckduckgo.com-?q=Metal+graphics+for+Macs&t=osx&ia=web

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.