Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
A month ago I sent my i6s to my carrier because of "iPhone 6s Program for Unexpected Shutdown Issues
". A few days ago, they said that the will replace my device with a new one and they're just waiting to have it in stock. Meanwhile, when they replace devices (btw, my device was sent to an external service, I guess Apple), do they give you the device unwrapped in its box or they give you just the phone?
Also, I accidentally forgot to backup anything from my phone because I didn't know they would replace my device, so is there a way I could do something about it? I know about iCloud. I mainly need my notes on my phone which, I think, maybe 80% of them are not on iCloud but I don't remember... My carrier said that they won't give me my old device back since it's already sent to Apple.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Always back up your device before sending to get repaired. I would even reset the device to like it came from the factory. Only way to get your notes back is to have them send your phone back to you so you can do an encrypted backup. Then return is after you reset it.

Sound like it is too late.

Reactions: ASUgrad1999

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
Always back up your device before sending to get repaired. I would even reset the device to like it came from the factory. Only way to get your notes back is to have them send your phone back to you so you can do an encrypted backup. Then return is after you reset it.

Sound like it is too late.
Yeah, way too late. Regarding the sending method - I don't know who I need to contact with lol can Apple do something if I prove them the phone is mine? I doubt.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don't believe you will get anywhere contacting Apple. You might have a better chance if your carrier contacted Apple. If they won't, you are out of luck. Best to make the most of a painful learning experience moving forward.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
Thanks guys. Do anyone know about the other thing? When replacing my phone, will they give me it boxed or unboxed (only phone)?

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
When I had my phone replaced at the Apple store, they just gave me the phone and kept the box it came in. Not a big deal to me.

Edit- thought about the notes. If you have an email account like Google associated with your phone, maybe your notes are rally synced there? That, or they could be synced with iCloud and you didn't realize it.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
You forgot the most essential thing (doing a backup) and want to know something that is trivial (whether the replacement will be boxed or not).

Talk about messed up priorities...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks guys. Do anyone know about the other thing? When replacing my phone, will they give me it boxed or unboxed (only phone)?

As @BasicGreatGuy stated, if it's replaced under Apple, it's known as their "White Box" Replacement. It will include the replacement iPhone only, with no accessories included.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
If the IMEI shows the iPhone is not activated, can it still be a refurbished model?
Btw, there's not Apple Center in my country so don't know if that matters. Maybe the carrier will give me brand new phone from them? Idk why I worry so much about it, I should be worried about not backing up haha

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If the IMEI shows the iPhone is not activated, can it still be a refurbished model?
Btw, there's not Apple Center in my country so don't know if that matters. Maybe the carrier will give me brand new phone from them? Idk why I worry so much about it, I should be worried about not backing up haha
When you get your phone, go into Settings > About > Model. If the model starts with an M, the phone is new. If it starts with an N, it is refurbished.

And yes you should concentrate on developing good backup habits, instead of worrying so much right now.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
I just picked up my replacement, it's refurbished but I don't blame. Is there a chance they could send my old device from Apple to the carrier just for a few days? I know it sounds dumb but when I logged in my iCloud, nothing was backed up lmao.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
Guys, huge update! Apparently, iTunes have made a backup a month ago, which I did not know about it and I just restored my phone and everything is here! I'm seriously so happy right now. Next time going to consider backing up m device regularly. (But doing that, I lost my photos from today and yesterday lmao)

Last edited:
Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.