Quick Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tumeg101, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

if I buy a macbook, a few days-a week after leopard is released, at a retailer(not official apple store)... could I go to apple and ask for it?? Or will I be stuck with tiger, because it is the retailers problem that they didn't have MacBooks with leopard at the time??

2. HW-Hack macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if Apple has changed their policy - but ti bought a G4 Mini with Panther on it right before Tiger came out ---- I believe I called AppleCare and was given a web address to print out a free Tiger upgrade sheet which I then mailed to Apple. Got a disk in the mail a week later

3. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I am not talking about before leopard is released, I am talking about after...
    because I have heard\read that apple's policy is to give you the OS or w\e for free, if you bought the mac after the OS or w\e was released, and the mac didn't have the new update...
    But I am just wondering if this is only if I buy from a official Apple store,

4. Alienbrain macrumors member

Alienbrain

I am not positive on this question, but I would find it ridiculous if you the customer went into any store that sells Apple bought a NEW computer expecting the latest OS and finding out that you didn't get it and then not getting the latest OS after contacting Apple.

5. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

By this, do you mean that you would be surprised if Apple didn't upgrade to the current OS for free?

6. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

Ok let me see if I understand this, IF you bought a new apple computer/book at...ohhh lets say Best Buy, and that CPU/BOOK had tiger instead of leopard would you be able to do the upgrade at an apple store!?

Well unless you got it at Joe shmoes discount back yard! If you buy a system PRIOR to the release of LEOPARD yeah, you'll need to crap out $129 for it [lprd], IF you buy a BRAND SPANKING NEW SYSTEM AFTER the release of Lprd you will have Lprd as an OS.

Don't take my sarcasm to heart, Most new systems that will come out after the release of Lprd will have it, no matter where you buy it. remember if you buy it at a respectable place.....Comp USA, Circuit City, Best Buy, etal. your new computer/book will have the latest version of the OS. Your question does makes sense but it's a bit irrelevant.

Know that you know continue saving that hard earned cash!! cuz it's going to be a wonderous Halloween!!!

:apple:

7. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I am asking this, because my dad knows a guy who works at some company (idk the name) who can get a discount on Macs, ($50 off, and we dont have to pay tax)
    If I get it from there, AFTER leopard is released, and the mac doesn't have leopard on it, could I take it to an official apple store, and ask for leopard (if I bring in receipt of course)
    This store is an authorized apple reseller

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) This is not an official Apple Store, it's an authorised reseller which is very different

2) No. In this past this has not been how it worked. There will be a form on Apples website you have to fill in and they will mail you the upgrade after you pay shipping costs.

9. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

argh, nobody understands what I am saying....
    Here is a sort of timeline for everyone...

-I Am Waiting for leopard, to buy a macbook from a friend who works for a computer company, that is also a authorized apple reseller, and he can get me a discount.

-Leopard Is Released!!!

-I buy a MacBook from that authorized apple reseller, I turn it on... "OMG! I don't have leoaprd!"

-I bring the MacBook to the nearest Apple store near me (not a reseller, the real deal...) and ask them if I can get leopard for free, since there policy says any mac purchased after a software update, will have the software, if not, will get for free.
    Will they give it to me? (If I provide a receipt)

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Everyone understands what you're saying, you're just not listening to the answers. I'll make it easier for you:

NO

For the rest of your answer read the other posts.

11. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Actually...

HW-Hack - Didn't Understand...
    Alienbrain - Confused Me...(lol)
    MorzillA - Didn't Understand... He thought I was asking if the mac would have the latest OS (my question was, if it didn't, could I have apple fix that problem)
    robbieduncan - Either he didn't understand, or he confused me... I think he thought when I said an official apple store, he thought I was talking about the reseller...
    kuebby - Kinda rude, and I think your just saying no because you "think" you understand the other posts...

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I did assume you were talking about the reseller but in general it makes no difference. The upgrade is not a retail copy of OSX so an Apple Store will not be able to give you a copy (unless Apple change their policy from last time). You have to fill in the form and pay shipping (around $20).

Edit to add: a quick bit of Googling for Tiger Up-To-Date reveals it was actually around $10.