Quick questions about Adium

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MortimerJazz, Jan 12, 2008.

1. MortimerJazz macrumors regular

You'll have to bare with me I'm afraid - I'm a new Mac convert who's still playing around with his first Macbook.

Anyway, I've found Adium, which seems like a nice application. A couple of questions though:

- Is it possible to just sign into an account without actually having to 'add' it. It's just that MSN allows you to select whether it 'remembers' login details or not. Can Adium do something similar?

- Will Adium show any unread emails I've got in the accounts that I add to the application? Or is it there simply for chatting to friends?

Thanks a lot

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Great choice! Adium is a real gem. It's amazingly customizable.

1. Absolutely...I'm not even totally sure what's going on with yours if it's making you enter login details every time. You add the account once, and that's it. From then on, it logs into that account automatically unless you tell it not to. Adding the account is the same thing as telling MSN to "remember" the login details.

2. There's no email features that I'm aware of, but I don't use any email attached to my IM accounts so I'm not entirely sure.

3. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Simply for chatting, as far as I know, but there may be some plug-ins that let you read mail from GMail or MSN. You can merely set your MSN to not log in on start-up, or just not put in a password.

Hope this helps!

4. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

When you first log on you'll get a message saying 'you have X new emails' and then a link to your hotmail inbox.
    And if you get an email while chatting you'll get a popup message saying 'xxx@xyz.com has sent you an email'

For easy pop-up notifications I'd go and download growl (it works with more than just adium)

http://growl.info/

5. evands macrumors member

File -> Connect a Guest Account is the "Connect without 'adding' your account" that you want; I can imagine no reason you'd want to use it for your personal account on your personal computer, but it's quite useful if a friend wants to jump online for a bit on your computer.