Quick Questions - Hard close app? Easier Multitasking?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by .Logan, Dec 27, 2010.

1. .Logan macrumors member

I got a new iPhone 4 for Christmas, and just had some questions.

1. I've noticed that when you leave an app using the home button, the app isn't closed it is still running in the background and accessible from the multitasking menu (double tab home button). I really dislike having to then go into the multitasking menu, and then close the app from there. Is it possible to fully/hard close the app without it going to the multitasking menu?

2. When you purchase an app in the App Store, is that purchase saved? For example, if I bought a new iPhone and logged in with my ID would I be able to download the app again? I just don't want to buy apps, and if my iPhone crashed or something happened, have wasted that money.

Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The bar is technically for "recently used apps", they are not all running in the background
    Many are not capable of multitasking anyway

You would restore your new phone through iTunes and all your apps would be secure

3. .Logan thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, are you sure the multitask bar or the apps that show at the bottom when double tapping the home button are not running in the background?

The reason I ask is if you are doing something in some apps (messages, mail, safari) and then go home, if you select any of them from the multitask bar they load much faster, and right from where you left off. As opposed to closing them from the multitask, and re-opening them (load slower, and the page you were looking at in safari reloads as opposed to already being loaded).

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

SOME will multitask, but not nearly all
    And even then, they will not continue to run indefinitely in a multitasking mode
    They will be in a saved state

The bar shows ALL recently used Apps

Almost 100% sure that is how it all works
    But I am sure someone else will come along with a more technical explanation

5. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

The only processes that run in the background are audio, VoIP, gps, downloads, and local push. Other than those, the app is saved in ram in its current state. It is not running. Don't worry about what is in the bar at the bottom. Just use it to switch between apps.

6. brandon.8602 macrumors member

1. most apps do not do anything in the background... the apple version of multitasking is more of a "progressive saving" feature.
    2. yes if you were to buy an new iOS device, as long as you used the same itunes account you will keep all of your purchases and will not need to pay again.

7. HORTENSE macrumors newbie

As stated, some apps are not always multi-task ready. However, I've noticed in leaving all those apps in the multi-task bar, really take up memory, as shown in the iStat App. I've had a ton of apps open, and saw my memory drop to 4MB. As I start closing them, more and more memory frees up.