Quick questions new iMac owner

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rick987611, Oct 22, 2014.

1. rick987611 macrumors member

I I just picked up my new iMac Retina from the Apple Store. Awesome so far. I do have one minor annoyance. I use headphones about 50% of the time. I was expecting to be able to just leave them plugged in the back and option click on the volume icon to swap outputs. Thing is, internal speakers goes away when the headphones are plugged in. Is there really no easy way to switch without fiddling behind the computer?

2. EnderTW macrumors 6502

3. rick987611 thread starter macrumors member

No that doesn't work. It doesn't show internal speakers as an option when headphones are in.

4. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

If you use headphones frequently as I do it will be worth your while to pick up an external USB DAC (digital to analog converter). You then plug your headphones into this. It will probably deliver slightly better sound and have its own volume control.

The other big advantage is that it WILL show up as an option when you do the "option - speaker" click on your iMac. Then it will be very easy to switch between headphones and iMac internal speaker without needing to do any plugging or unplugging.

I'm using a compact one made by FiiO and really like it, but there are countless others on the market from about $50 on up.

5. rick987611 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That is actually exactly what I am doing right now. Pulled the Fiio Ek10 (I think that is the name) off my gaming PC.