Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vegas-steven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I've jailbroken my iPhone 3g as wellas other peoples phones several to
we, but I've had a few questions about the unlock.

1. if a user has gone pas the 2.2 fw, can thief phone be downgraded to 2.2 without a risk or does the baseband version get flashed and stay that way once it is changed?

2. can the unlock process permanently damage a phone by flashing something I correctly? I know the jb for exampbe a just software that can always be undone.

3. will users of prepaid have access to online services? here is why I ask:
I've used several unlocked phones (blackberry, samsung etc) and each time ty place where I buy phone cards from say that the net doesn't work because they must be configured correctly.
does iphone just do this? you know these phones all have complex manues with gateways and the like but iPhone does not.

therefore, is it just a matter of plug in a sim card and pay per kb downloaded if prepaid? what about a contract account from another gsm provider, is configuration needed?

thanks for any comments

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
I've jailbroken my iPhone 3g as wellas other peoples phones several to
we, but I've had a few questions about the unlock.

1. if a user has gone pas the 2.2 fw, can thief phone be downgraded to 2.2 without a risk or does the baseband version get flashed and stay that way once it is changed?

2. can the unlock process permanently damage a phone by flashing something I correctly? I know the jb for exampbe a just software that can always be undone.

3. will users of prepaid have access to online services? here is why I ask:
I've used several unlocked phones (blackberry, samsung etc) and each time ty place where I buy phone cards from say that the net doesn't work because they must be configured correctly.
does iphone just do this? you know these phones all have complex manues with gateways and the like but iPhone does not.

therefore, is it just a matter of plug in a sim card and pay per kb downloaded if prepaid? what about a contract account from another gsm provider, is configuration needed?

thanks for any comments

1. You can downgrade the firmware, not the baseband.

2. Unlocking will do no permanent damage. DFU restore will fix any problems.

3. I'm not sure, it's not going to take away functions you're currently using.

4. You'll have to sort that out with the carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.