Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aranell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
Hi all, OK so I've had my eye on the iBooks for a while now ready for university and now they've been updated I'm pretty much set on getting the 12" with 60-80GB HDD and installing additional RAM from Crucial.

However, now that the iBooks require PC2700 RAM, buying a 1GB module is considerably more expensive than the 512MB modules (512 = £46.99; 1GB = £135.11) so I was wondering exactly how much more performance will the 1.5GB maxed out RAM give over 1GB in OSX for tasks such as Word processing, browsing the Internet and light Web Development/Image editing? And would the performance be worth the extra ~£90 - I'll also be semi-switching from a Windows machine so my knowledge as far as Macs go is limited at best.

Sorry for contributing to the large pile of "Buying iBook" threads but I just wanted a simple, informed answer without hijacking someone elses thread ;)

Thanks in advance

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
For light image editing, Word and internet, 1 Gb total should be fine. You take the risk that you may want to upgrade later, at which time you have to remove the 512 Mb SODIMM in order to install a 1 Gb SODIMM.

Choose your RAM from a dealer who guarantees compatibility.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
You can feel safe with purchasing from Crucial. They have an easy to use RAM locator. Also have a lifetime guarantee. 1 GB of RAM should be plenty for all of your needs.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I am planning on getting 1GB on my iBook as well. It will serve me well for iTunes, Safari, MS Office, Photoshop Elements.

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
how many apps, windows, movies can one comfortably open up at the same time on an ibook with 1.5 ram?

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
AcousticDoc said:
how many apps, windows, movies can one comfortably open up at the same time on an ibook with 1.5 ram?
For comparison... I have a 1.2GHz iBook with 1.25GB of RAM. I currently have an uptime of 9 days and have been running Terminal, Safari, Mail, Adium, Address Book, iCal, Checkbook, Preview, and TextEdit continuously. I have also had iTunes, MarbleBlast Gold (a game), MS Office, and a few other apps open from time to time.

I've still had zero/nada/zilch page-outs from virtual memory. :)

Dan725

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2005
I just bought the new ibook myself and intend to upgrade to 1.5 gb. My question (which might be pretty dumb) is what is the pin on the ram? i called up apple and they had no idea - pretty odd. I would assume it is 200-pin, PC2700 - is this correct? Crucial does not appear to have the new ibooks in their locator.

Here is the module I am looking at:
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.Asp?IMODULE=CT12864X335

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
Dan725 said:
I just bought the new ibook myself and intend to upgrade to 1.5 gb. My question (which might be pretty dumb) is what is the pin on the ram? i called up apple and they had no idea - pretty odd. I would assume it is 200-pin, PC2700 - is this correct? Crucial does not appear to have the new ibooks in their locator.

You can just use the 12" Powerbook configurer. Or you can wait a week or so until Crucial and other websites update their websites.

My Yute

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2005
Does anybody have any experience w/ going againts crucial's memory selector (keeping the number of pins and everything else the same of course). For example, this memory chip

http://www.crucial.com/store/MParts...ok+G4+1.33GHz+(12-inch+Display)&WSPN=CT368642

is the 1 gig reccommended by crucial for the 12" powerbook @ 1.33 ghz. Would this be better or no different from the other chip linked earlier?

bdanielb

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2005
so is having 512mb in an ibook that bad an experience?

I have ordered mine yesterday and will be using it for things like the net, office, some itunes, watching the odd dvd, and the odd basic game....no photo or video editing....

so is 512 mb enough for those things? is it really so much better when u have 1gb?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
My Yute said:
Does anybody have any experience w/ going againts crucial's memory selector (keeping the number of pins and everything else the same of course). For example, this memory chip

http://www.crucial.com/store/MParts...ok+G4+1.33GHz+(12-inch+Display)&WSPN=CT368642

is the 1 gig reccommended by crucial for the 12" powerbook @ 1.33 ghz. Would this be better or no different from the other chip linked earlier?

Yes there is a difference
CT368642 is the module (the only module) that Crucial guarantee is compatible with the AlBook 12" (& by extension the new iBooks)

CT12864X335 is their generic module for quite a bit less money that is not guaranteed compatible with the Powerbooks. Crucial had to bring in a separate configuration of SODIMMs for Powerbooks because their PC memory wasn't working in all models. Go against the configurator at your risk.

If you are in the USA, then have a look at
Data Memory Systems for guaranteed compatible RAM.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
bdanielb said:
so is having 512mb in an ibook that bad an experience?

I have ordered mine yesterday and will be using it for things like the net, office, some itunes, watching the odd dvd, and the odd basic game....no photo or video editing....

so is 512 mb enough for those things? is it really so much better when u have 1gb?
You can get by on 512 Mb, it's OK for Panther, however Tiger wants most of that, so you are limited how many programs you can have open. Since a signal benefit of OS X is to have lots of apps open and just hop back and forth between them, then 1 GB (or more) or memory makes life more charming.

My Yute

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2005
Thanks a lot. I've never heard of Data Memory systems - what's their quality like? Also, the one for new macs only, I'm assuming that's for the current revision of ibooks? Seeing as they seem to keep their pages up to date?

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
CanadaRAM said:
You can get by on 512 Mb, it's OK for Panther, however Tiger wants most of that, so you are limited how many programs you can have open. Since a signal benefit of OS X is to have lots of apps open and just hop back and forth between them, then 1 GB (or more) or memory makes life more charming.

Oh all-knowing CanadaRAM, I beseech thee for an answer regarding the two different 1-gig sticks at DMS.

Is one better than the other for a new iBook? Cheaper would be most rapturous!

Aranell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
Thanks for all the replies people, I've still got a couple of weeks left to buy the 'Book so I'll see if I can afford to spend the extra on a 1GB module nearer the time.. If not it looks like 1GB total should be enough for my needs :)

akm

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2005
Toronto, ON, Canada
chucknorris said:
Oh all-knowing CanadaRAM, I beseech thee for an answer regarding the two different 1-gig sticks at DMS.

Related question for CanadaRAM; as I am, well, in Canada, I was looking at http://canadaram.com/macram.html and wanted to hear if you have any comments on getting the 1024Mb (50155-1) stick [$CDN 245] versus the 1024Mb (Samsung original 50155) [$CDN 275]. I'm getting a 14" iBook and wanted to get extra RAM and getting it from within Canada seems to be less hassle/cheaper (due to oddities that happen with custom fees at times etc.).

I also presume that the above RAM qualifies as coming "from a dealer who guarantees compatibility" :)

Thx

My Yute

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2005
Seems like the same thing as the data memory systems page which Canada RAM explained to me that the more expensive one was the samsung chips that apple uses, but both should work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.