Quick Reply Appreciated: Converting VHS w/a JVC GR-DA30

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mattw126, Nov 13, 2008.

1. mattw126 macrumors member

mattw126

I know this is similar to the 'Converting VHS to DVD w/o Firewire?" thread, but I'm about to pickup said camera from BestBuy in about an hour. I just wanted to make sure it can make the conversions. I borrowed my brother's Sony HandyCam (I forget the model) and was unable to receive a signal from my VHS player. The cam records onto mini DVD's so I figured, even though it didn't have a firewire out, I could still record the footage (a whole ten mins. worth @ the highest setting) and import via USB. No dice.

Sorry if I sound like a video chump - it's because I am, but I can shoot a wedding/Bar - Bat Mitzvah in my sleep.

So here's the breakdown:

JVC GR-DA30 - $200
    Firewire cable - $30ish
    3 pack of Mini-DV tapes $10

With tax, a little over $250 + I will have a camcorder which could come in handy for engagement sittings, adding a clip or 2 (of them walking,kissing, etc. on the beach) for the reception DVD.

BTW, I do have FCE4 on my computer, and my partner has FCS 2 on his iMac at the studio, so I could always put FCP on here. Which I plan to do once I get the basics of FCE & video in general down.

Again, I know this is a similar thread, & I know I sound mildly retarded when it comes to video, but if I can just get an assurance that this cam (it does have FW out) will be able to digitize VHS tapes, I would feel much better in regards to my use of time & money. Thanks in advance!

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Most super cheap DV cameras dont do AV input, but you will have to look at the box. On my old Canon DV camera, you could do passthrough, but it was disabled by default.

Also, you dont need tapes to do this. You can go right from VHS to DV in realtime and capture the stream on your computer if the camera supports it.

EDIT: here is the manual: http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/00/LYT1776-001A.pdf I dont see this feature mentioned, but I only looked for a few seconds.

You are probably better off getting an older DV camera on craigslist for ~$100 that has the feature for sure.

3. mattw126 thread starter macrumors member

mattw126

Thanks NeoMayhem for your reply, unfortunately I didn't read it until after I got the camera from Wal-Mart (Best Buy didn't have it on hand). I called my brother and told him the problem I was having, and it turns out he still has (now had :D ) a mini DV cam my parents gave him after he had his 1st daughter. I gave it go last night and have had no issues with the AV input (I also returned the JVC), I haven't tried to see if I can pass through directly, but I will when I get the chance.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

4. Randor macrumors newbie

FWIW: I've been using a Canopus ADVC-100 Analog to Firewire capture box and it does excellent work converting anything using composite or S-Video. It even adds SMPTE timecode.

Of course it doesn't come with a handy-dandy video camera, but it does do a great job.