Quick Reply feature

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Surely, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

I joined another forum over the weekend, and they have a "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of each page of each thread. That way, you can reply quickly without loading a new page. It works in the same way as the Quick Reply feature that you have active in the Private Messaging section here.

That forum is using vBulletin 3.8.4, so I would imagine that feature is available to 3.8.6, which is what MR uses.

I've found it quite convenient when posting. Why is it not being utilized here?

:)

2. GGJstudios, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  3. Blue Velvet, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011

Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's because it's been felt over the years that making it available would add an extra small incentive for forum members to make tinier posts; one word posts, lols, +1s, smilies, lmaos, etc. therefore working against useful discussion and possibly making a little more work for the moderators. Cleaning up that sort of stuff is one of the least interesting tasks that moderators do on a daily basis.

4. Surely, Apr 3, 2011

Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

I doubt that having a Quick Reply feature would make a huge difference with that. There's already plenty of that going on as it is. I don't think that having to click Post Reply and then make a post is that much of a disincentive with that.

I'd be curious to see how this forum adjusts to a QR feature.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it won't make much difference, why bother putting it in?

6. Surely, Apr 3, 2011

Surely

I don't think it will make a difference with the amount of spam/+1 posts. It does make a difference in the convenience level when posting proper responses. I've enjoyed using that forum because of that feature. You misinterpreted my post.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

But you acknowledge that it could make a difference in the amount of spam/+1 posts, right? In which case the "Quick Reply" argument is a wash. Since there's no clear benefit, there's no reason to fix what's not broken.

8. Surely, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

Surely

I don't think it would make a noticeable difference.

There is a clear benefit to me. That is why I asked the question.

Oh yes, the forums are functioning just perfectly....no need to change anything evar.

9. Blue Velvet, Apr 3, 2011

Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Maybe not a huge difference but every little difference helps. That extra couple of seconds may lead to some reflection by some people before hitting that 'submit reply' button. Perhaps the issue may get looked at again with updates in the future.