Quick reply from Lockscreen

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bigjnyc, Sep 10, 2014.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

For those that have been using iOS 8 for a while. Can you really not quick reply to a message in the lockscreen unless you have message preview on? If so this really sucks. I do not want message previews popping up on my lockscreen, sometimes I leave my phone lying on my desk at work etc... Why couldn't you just give quick reply lockscreen access under "touch id & passcodes" menu?

Am I missing something? Or is this pretty much the way it is?

2. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure you can't do this, period. to reply from the lock screen you slide right like always. Where did you see a quick reply?

3. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

I saw it several times yesterday. Got a txt and was able to respond from within an app.

4. Wbutchart macrumors regular

Yup its possible to reply from lock screen, I did it earlier, I think just swiped right and the reply option came. Pretty convenient.

When it cones to message preview, kinda makes sense, if you can't read the message on the lock screen how can it be replied to...

5. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I was thinking something along the lines of bitesms or Auki..... you get a message in the lockscreen, it says the person's name but not the content of the message. once you swipe right to left you see the content of the message but not beforehand.

I just don't want this (pictured below) cause anyone around you can see your message, many times I've walked over to a co-worker's desk and he/she receives a text and you can read it on the lockscreen, sometimes its something very personal
    [​IMG]

6. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

So is one able to quick reply from the lock screen or not? I just installed the GM and I was under the impression one can reply from anywhere and so far I can only quick reply pulling the notification banner down when using the phone. I swear I was able to quick reply from lock screen in Beta 2 (went back to jailbreak afterwards)

7. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

You can reply from the lock screen only if you go in to notification center and turn on "preview" for messages.

My issue with that is once you turn on preview a snippet of your message comes up in the notification and anyone around can see your conversation.

8. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

9. matttye macrumors 601

I was about to say "How can you reply to a message you can't read?" but then I saw this post.

Swiping right to left is not a solution really because unauthenticated people will still be able to see your message just by swiping. It adds an extra step sure, but won't stop prying eyes from seeing your messages.

It seems to me that privacy and quick reply on the lockscreen are incompatible ideas.

10. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

The point of Quick Reply is to reply without unlocking your phone. If you have the message set to not show up without unlocking your phone then this isn't possible.

11. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

12. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

its very much possible. All jailbreak quick reply apps do this. Unless you are understanding me wrong and mean something else.

what I mean is that a preview of the message should not show up on the notification itself like my picture above.

Once you have the phone in hand and you slide to reply then the message should show up.

13. matttye macrumors 601

I wonder if Apple can detect a swipe on the TouchID sensor? If not, I expect that might be in future iPhones.

That would be the ideal solution to this problem.

Swipe left on sensor to quick reply, swipe right on sensor to display message.

Edit: if it wasn't obvious, I am, of course, saying that such swipes should only work if your fingerprint is authenticated during the swipe.

14. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Jailbreak's also circumvent security. It sounds like you are wanting to use Quick Reply but cannot because you have message previews off. Swipe Left = Quick reply without unlocking the phone. Swipe right requires unlock to view the message.

The whole point of message previews is to protect the content of the message. If this worked the way you are wanting, anyone could just swipe left to see the message sent without authentication.

15. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Message preview ON does not protect the content of the message because with message preview ON you can see the message right there on the screen. When your screen lights up with the notification you can see sender and message content...... So by turning message preview on you are already giving access to your message without authentication

my question is why wouldn't apple allow you to hide this content but allow you to see it only after you swipe to the left and click on reply.

16. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I am confused, the original post states that you can only use quick reply if message previews are on.. I get that. Quick Reply works with previews on.

Previews off do not work because you must unlock the device to view the message. Quick replys can be replied to without unlocking the device. Swiping right prompts for an authentication. That is your answer, assuming I am understanding you correctly. By choosing previews OFF, you are telling your phone that you want your messages protected.. Hence the extra step needed for authentication before replying.. ie, swiping right.

17. C DM, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

That's not the option Apple provides. They have the option of showing a preview or not, nothing in the middle where it doesn't show it until you swipe on it. Their take on it is likely from security point of view in the sense that if you don't want previews on then you don't want someone to be able to see the message anyway if your phone is locked (not by swiping it or anything like that). Would it be a nice sub-option to have so that something like that can be done? Perhaps. But Apple doesn't offer very fine sub-controls for many options. So hopefully it's something that might be added/improved, but probably not something to really expect.

18. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

That makes perfect sense, I think we are on the same page now. C DM also hit the nail on the head...That is Apple's logic and exactly what happens..... I just wish it was different but then again Apple is not in to giving much options.... And I am not saying they are wrong because it does make perfect sense to do it that way.... Oh well I guess that's what Jailbreaking is for.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I understood what you were saying, and I kinda wish they would let you hide the message until you swipe, and it brings up the last message the person sent to you and also allows you to text.

Also, I love your sig. Made me laugh.

20. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

haha thanks.

unfortunately I don't think Apple will ever allow this but you never know. In the meantime I hope ios 8 is jailbroken soon.

21. ag21 macrumors newbie

Can you compose a message on lock screen like bitesms? I was pumped to see the quick reply feature, but I used the quick compose on bite just as much.

Thanks in advance!

22. nickernzen macrumors newbie

No

23. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Sucks that you have to message previews on in order to use quick reply. I miss my jailbreak, with Auki you can use quick reply even with message previews off.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

I guess Apple thinks you should probably know what the message you are replying to says before you reply to it.