Quick Reply Notifications [Concept]

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Nathan20, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Nathan20 macrumors regular

The other day i posted a concept for messages share sheets: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1528817

Following on from that here is a concept for replying quickly to notifications from anywhere. The example attached is with iMessage but could be accessed and used by 3rd party apps.

Attached Files:

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

so basically you just made a worse version of bitesms.

3. Nathan20 thread starter macrumors regular

An alternative...

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Looks good to me, although I'd prefer if the quick-reply sheet was more like the actual Messages window - allowing you to see previous messages and see your reply show up in the window.

5. King Bowser macrumors regular

lmao sorry this is funny to me.

6. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Nice :)

Although I'd much prefer it if swiping down took you to the normal notification centre, then there was a little "reply" icon next to the text message in notification centre, which brought up a share-sheet-like reply box.

Good work though

7. Nathan20 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, thats actually a great idea

8. jinkoh macrumors newbie

9. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Can you tell me what's so slow about the current setup? If you see the notification and click it once, it will take you immediately to where you can start typing a message.

The only time I can see anything like this being useful is if there were multiple text messages in your notification center and you could quick reply to each one, that might be useful. But even then, there's almost no point.

10. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

People want to reply to the message without leaving the current app/game they're in. After the reply, they can resume it immediately without double-tapping the home button, choosing the app then wait for it to resume.

11. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Haha. You make it sound so difficult when put like that. I see your reasoning, but saving myself two seconds isn't really that big of a deal for me.

Clicking the home button twice really doesn't bother me. Now, if they come up with a better way to multitask or better way of intiating multitasking, then I might have some interest in that.

12. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Pretty good idea, I like it alot, I used an android for a little bit and I liked this feature so that way I could remain in my apps.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What this says to me is that we need:

A) A faster animation to get into the message app when you tap the notification.

B) A back button in the message app to go back to the app you were in before.

C) An API that allows apps to understand that the message app is special and should not be considered a reason to stop of shut down whatever its doing.

I'd rather attack the actual problems then invent multiple ways to do the same thing (a tap does this! a swipe does this! they're almost the same, but slightly different!) That just leads to confusion.