Quick reply SMS

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ANDYMILLMAN, Jun 3, 2014.

1. ANDYMILLMAN macrumors member

Guys when I get an sms message through whilst I'm Using my phone I get the standard banner notification but I find I cannot do anything with it to initiate the quick reply function the only thing that happens is that it eventually launches the full messages app

What gesture do I use to initiate quick reply on the banner ?

Thanks

2. Armen, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Quick reply SMS

You may want to finish your sentence haha

3. CarsonJones macrumors member

It freezes in whatever application you're in after you hit send?

Ah ok you edited your message, you need to change it from banner to alerts in the notification settings for messages.

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Pull down on the banner.

5. ANDYMILLMAN thread starter macrumors member

This site may want to make its mobile version a little more friendly with ios 8 then :)

Cursor bouncing around all over the show :p

----------

Will try that again on my next message. I had 0 success with that method yesterday though weird.

So you can confirm that quick reply does indeed work with banners ?

the other post above suggest it will only work with the other type of notifications

6. mirageboss macrumors member

mirageboss

When inside Apps (not locked)
    Swipe from the top to mid-screen when the prompt pops up.

When device locked
    Swipe right to left and choose "Reply".

7. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

You also have to ensure that you have set Messages notifications to show the preview.

If it's off then you can't quick reply.

8. PlainEight macrumors newbie

I believe you can (I can, anyway), but it's not very useful if you don't know what the message says!

9. ANDYMILLMAN thread starter macrumors member

Still not working on my device mate - how weird
    message banner shows up - the bottom of the banner has the _ line on it like notification centre, but pulling down on it does absolutely nothing. The only thing I can do is click the banner to launch the messages app.

10. chumps52 macrumors regular

I hate this too... It only ever works if you have show preview set to on, so that you can see the first line of the message, instead of it just saying "iMessage" etc.
    (IE It doesn't work unless you could read the actual message without going onto the messages app itself)

Hopefully this will be fixed in an upcoming beta, because as you say you can't even pull down at all, and I don't like the idea of someone picking up my phone and being able to read my messages.

11. ANDYMILLMAN thread starter macrumors member

My preview was always set to on mate
    A full reboot of my device has rectified the issue anyway - The old IT cliche "reboot" seems to have fixed it for me at least :)

12. chumps52 macrumors regular

Ah I see, at least you got it fixed :p

13. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I can do it but only on the lockscreen, exactly its not useful when you dont know what you are replying to lol

14. mirageboss macrumors member

mirageboss

That's incredibly odd... Bug Report there you go! :p

15. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I really doubt they even consider this a bug. If you don't want people picking up your phone and reading your messages then you can't use quick reply. Even if they did make it so that quick reply worked with preview off it would defeat the purpose, the person could slide the message down to read it, or swipe it to read it on the lock screen. If you were to do quick reply without actually seeing the message... well that's even less of a bug, you can't see what you are replying to.

16. chumps52 macrumors regular

Try using iOS 7 with Previews off. Even then, when the phone is unlocked, you can pull the banner down to read the message in notification centre.

At the moment you have to push the banner back up, and then pull down the whole notification centre to be able to read it.

Fine if they turn it off on the lockscreen, but it should still be allowed when the phone is unlocked.

17. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yeah, 'no preview' worked much better before because you could drag down the notification to see the message. They need to allow quick reply with 'no preview', the drag down should reveal the message, it would be much more consistent with how it was before imo (with added reply feature obviously).

And yeah, personally I only have 'no preview' to prevent it being visible on the lock screen. More discrete options for lock screen / unlocked would work for me, too.

18. chumps52 macrumors regular

Exactly, I liked how it revealed itself in iOS 7

19. C DM, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

I kind of found it a little disjointed as far as how that was set up in iOS 7. When you pull down any banner you simply bring down the notification center, not so much reveal anything in particular, it's just that the notification center itself didn't seem to respect (at least in my experience) the no preview option--for example, if you have previews turned off, get a banner notification without a preview, let it go away or swipe it away, and then later go to the notification center you'll see the preview there, despite the previews being turned off. Even the "show preview" setting itself says it should apply to notification center too, so perhaps this was some sort of oversight/bug of some sort.

iOS 8 banner notifications changed the behavior of the pull-down revealing notification center and simply made it work for quick reply type of purposes. Perhaps for things of this nature they should add a bit more to it where pulling down would reveal the message and the quick reply options that would apply to it.

20. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yeah that's interesting. On iOS 8 it doesn't mention notification center - so the behaviour now matches the label.

Yeah.

BTW, in case anyone's interested, notifications that aren't actionable (i.e. all third party app notifications atm) behave the same as no preview message notifications.

21. dspalton macrumors 6502a

If i get an sms / iMessage, i click on it, and then it magically opens iFTP rather than the messaging app

Dave

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

iFTP? As in a completely unrelated third party app?

23. dspalton macrumors 6502a

24. afsnyder macrumors 65816

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like this--quick reply with preview disabled--might have been addressed in iOS 8 beta 2.