Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Quick Reply

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
1,002
5
Just curious if theres any chance of offering this feature? Sorry if its already been discussed.
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
15,584
1
bursty said:
Just curious if theres any chance of offering this feature? Sorry if its already been discussed.
It has... the hesitation is that it might encourage spamming or repeat posts.
 
Comment

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
1,002
5
devilot said:
It has... the hesitation is that it might encourage spamming or repeat posts.
Repeat posts as in accidental double posts? Just put a 20 sec limit on posting. :confused:
 
Comment

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,377
44
1123.6536.5321
Counterfit said:
Arn has said he won't enable it because of server load issues.

Makes sense. The servers are much better than they used to be, however during major Apple events and whatnot, they still have their issues from time to time as it is, let alone if quick reply was enabled...
 
Comment

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
1,002
5
How does the quick reply add to the server load? :confused:
 
Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
38,448
4,955
Los Angeles
devilot pointed out the leading detriment. It encourages more posting with less thought. And that's been enough to settle the question.
 
Comment

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
17,582
1,615
EricNau said:
OK, I'm feeling stupid. What is Quick Reply?

Much like the inline post editing feature recently implemented here, Quick Reply allows you to reply to a message without going to a separate reply page as we do now.
 
Comment

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
874
1
Berkeley, California
It's a little button at the bottom of the page on some forums where you just click it and rather than being brought to a new page to write a reply a text box just appears and you write your reply there. Much faster.... hence the name... I'll be quiet now...
 
Comment

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
1,002
5
Meh, I wish it could be enabled. There are so many handy features that this forum disables for silly reasons. :rolleyes:
 
Comment

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,377
44
1123.6536.5321
bursty said:
Meh, I wish it could be enabled. There are so many handy features that this forum disables for silly reasons. :rolleyes:

What other features besides Quick Reply would you like to see, which are currently disabled here on MacRumors? If you never make mention of it, no one will know. List off a few few and perhaps the Mods will address why they have decided not to enable them.
 
Comment

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
1,002
5
~Shard~ said:
What other features besides Quick Reply would you like to see, which are currently disabled here on MacRumors? If you never make mention of it, no one will know. List off a few few and perhaps the Mods will address why they have decided not to enable them.
I've made a couple threads about them. The mods always have a "good" reason for not adding them, usually stating that it would cause "too much load on the server". Its not my forum so I dont have much room to complain :rolleyes:
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.