Quick responses please (External HDD)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamvk, Jun 8, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

If you're going to bother spending the cash investing in a HDD, wouldn't you want one with the increased speed and straight connectivity of FW800?

Lacie has a great one for mac.

As well as Western Digital.

The speed of these latest 7200 RPM drives is far superior to the bandwith bottleneck that FW400 provides.

3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I don't really need that much speed, and I don't want to spend that much. :)

Is the one I posted good?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's a Maxtor, so no.

5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I think Maxtor makes good drives. Anyone else want to chime in?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

While no hard drive manufacturer has a perfect track record, Maxtors are widely acknowledged to be some of the worst. I don't know if things improved since they were bought out by Seagate, but I've noticed a marked decline in Seagate drives over the past couple years also.

7. islandman macrumors 6502

OWC sells drives that are compatible with FW800. They contain Hitachi drives and I love them. They're well-built and you can upgrade them yourself.

Having said that, I agree that Maxtor isn't the best drive manufacturer. Yes, everyone has drives that fail from time to time, but I would buy a Seagate before I bought a Maxtor. Hitachi are good. WD are good again (they were bad years ago IMO).

8. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

I'd have to agree with this statement.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Invest in another brand. Even the five year warranty cant bring back your erased data...

10. dukeman macrumors member

I had one of the Lacie with USB, Firewire 400/800 since about 2001-2002. It still runs to this day.
    It cost me around $400 back in the day, at work we tend to use seagate usb drives which have seemed to last 2-4 years without any problems. Occasional one that dies but nothing an RMA doesn't fix.

11. yanki macrumors newbie

i will prefer the maxtor because i have this drive so long and till now i have never face any problem.so its a good one drive.

12. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well the average rating on it was 4.5 starts out of 5 on Tiger Direct, and there were countless good reviews about it elsewhere.

So I bought it.

I like it so far, as we speak its backing up. I would post pictures right now but my retarded Mac only has 2 USB ports so I can't because they're all full.