Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triela

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I purchased the iPod touch remote control as mentioned by Erica Sadun at TUAW: (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/28/iphone-ipod-touch-remote-control/).

Here's the quick review:

Pro:
- All buttons work perfectly, while iPod is active or sleeping: Play/Pause, FF/REW (Skip FORW/BACK), Volume Up/Down, Hold.
- Price is $6.63 with Free Shipping.

Con:
- Very Ugly. Pale white/grey color looks horrible attached to the touch.
- Very Poor Build Quality. It looks like it's barely worth $6.63, if that.
- Requires both dock and headphone ports to be occupied simultaneously.

rbroady

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
nice that will be perfect for a control while snowboarding if i dare to take my touch out on the mountian...may have to stick to the nano while shredding the freshies

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
I'm using the 'Gear4 BlueEye' which not only gives me remote control but bluetooth connectivity with my phone also. The only thing that doesn't work is the display for the radio frequency and list of telephone nubers on the touch screen (it was designed for 5g ipods). Apart from that all other functions work.

http://www.gear4blueye.com/uk/?gclid=CMq-jd2XmI8CFSUSEgodTAP7fg

ZOMG I am SO buying that thing.

Wonder if it's available in Canada anywhere...

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
I'm using the 'Gear4 BlueEye' which not only gives me remote control but bluetooth connectivity with my phone also. The only thing that doesn't work is the display for the radio frequency and list of telephone nubers on the touch screen (it was designed for 5g ipods). Apart from that all other functions work.

WOW! I LOVE IT! £50!? YES PLEASE! I'm getting one of those as soon as I get my touch, I swear! Hopefully the SDK will allow these guys to add phone number and radio support :)

kshott

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2003
North Kakalaka
that BluEye thing is crazy cool. I also ordered the remote from tuaw.com. I haven't gotten it in the mail yet though. For $6 and some change, I'll use it for a while, then maybe move up to the BluEye.

chall5

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
UK
What is the hold up with the official Touch remote ?

I don't even want the radio, just a way to track skip and change volume without taking the thing out of my pocket

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
This is what i use, and i love it... wireless and everything...
http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/13/timexs-ipod-controlling-i-control-watch-hits-the-fcc/
7-12-07-icontrol.jpg

Quasiportnoy

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
I purchased the iPod touch remote control as mentioned by Erica Sadun at TUAW: (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/28/iphone-ipod-touch-remote-control/).

Here's the quick review:

Pro:
- All buttons work perfectly, while iPod is active or sleeping: Play/Pause, FF/REW (Skip FORW/BACK), Volume Up/Down, Hold.

Con:

Thanks so much for this review. I've been wanting to hear more about it, but nobody but Erica Sadun has said anything until now. Ordering one as soon as I hit "Submit Reply".

Solesk

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007

wow i really like that thing. my only question is does it lock the screen like ipod car stereos do? or do you still get all the normal touch functions plus what's listed for this device?

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Con:

Actually, it doesn't ;) Hook up your headphones to the headphone port, keep the remote as just a remote.. yes, that complicates wiring, but you get slightly better sound quality (and none of the right-headphone pops when pressing Play/Pause, in my case).

Otherwise it's quite handy, other than the obscenely long cord (in addition to a long headphone cable).

kshott

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2003
North Kakalaka
Pro:

Con:

That pretty much sums it up. I got mine in the mail today and tested it on the ride home. It is ugly/cheap looking as all get out... but it worked great. Much better than trying to operate the Touch and drive at the same time. It would be nice if it came in black, but for $6 and some change... I'd say it's worth it.

Solesk

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
i was half a step away from ordering this thing. when i realized i cant use it and a car charger at the same time. can anyone that has one confirm this?

kshott

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2003
North Kakalaka
i was half a step away from ordering this thing. when i realized i cant use it and a car charger at the same time. can anyone that has one confirm this?

I don't think you can. This remore plugs into the USB port on the bottom. Not sure if anybody out there makes some kind of splitter.

kshott

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2003
North Kakalaka
Update: Mine's already broken

don't know why, but none of the controls on the remote work now. Sound still plays through it fine... but all the buttons are dead. I'd try and return it, but shipping would probably be more than it cost in the first place.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey

Has anyone found this available in the US..? I'd love to get one!

TP-Eric

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I bought a Gear4 BluEye off eBay from an Australian seller. Awesome little device. The screen display doesn't work on the Touch (yet -- wait 'til they get their hands on the SDK) but everything else -- pairing, answering/ending/placing voice calls, FM radio, and of course, normal remote functions, work brilliantly. The FM radio is a bit odd to get used to though; changing stations requires a two-second press; normal presses are reserved for surfing stored stations, so once you get that set up it's great.

You can get them rebranded in the US at select places under the Mavizen MyBlu brand, but I've heard tell that the firmware is slightly different, so you can't use Gear4's firmware to update. (This may be mistaken; I neither have nor have tried the MyBlu to confirm.)

Dom.S

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008

Can you confirm that you're using it with the Touch and that all of the features work? I've been trying to figure out if they're compatible for a while but the information is just not out there. Timex's site doesn't even mention the iPhone/Touch in its compatibility info.

I haven't bought a Touch yet and a big reason for that is that I can't justify it until I can have it in my bag and control it remotely when cycling and running.

Cheers. :)

Cammunicator

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
To anyone who has bought this: How long did the shipping take for you?

Just wondering, since I'm anxiously awaiting mine.

I bought one and waited about 4 weeks for it (Hong Kong to Toronto)... but it sure was worth the wait. Sure, it's not the prettiest of pieces, but for six bucks it's one dandy remote control; great functionality.

Also, I think I will take the suggestion to plug my headphones (SC:FMJ) directly into my Touch and just use the remote for remoting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.