Quick review: Speck shells - worth it? (The semi-annual cleaning report)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JNB, Dec 27, 2007.

1. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

My Speck clear went on the Blackbook on Day 1 (mid-May of this year), and hasn't been off until today. I was a wee bit concerned at what I might find, but ended up happier that I ever expected. After 7 months of daily use (& abuse), I can't find anything to complain about, and actually am more impressed than I thought I would be. This travels with me every week, going through the TSA's hands regularly, getting fairly well tossed about in rental cars, hotel rooms, client telco closets, the works.

After removing the shell (a minor chore--take your time, lest you end up buying a new one!), ALL I found on the MacBook's case was a very minor bit of microfine dust. A quick wipedown of the case, and the MB looks EXACTLY as it did the day it went into the shell. There is no sign on the MB's case of wear, chafing, scratches or scars. The protection of the exterior was absolute.

The shell itself is a scuffed-up, mungy mess on the outside, which is precisely why I got it. It took the crap so the MB wouldn't have to. I can easily say that this probably the best investment I made (along with the Moshi pad), and come the day the MB goes to someone else, they'll feel like they're getting a new machine.

Now if I can just find a reliable method of protecting the screen as much!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I went with this one after hearing some stories on the pain of removing other shells.

3. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

I'd like to get one, but I've already been using my MBP for over half a year so I'm not sure if it's worth it (still in relatively good condition though). Do these cases cause any problems with heat dissipation? All the protection in the world isn't going to matter if it melts from the inside… (probably more of an issue with the MBPs than the MBs)

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've only noticed a slight increase in temperature with my shell.

5. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

With the Speck, I don't think there's any discernible increase in average temp. There's lots of venting, and the shell actually "stands off" of the case fractionally, so it breathes pretty darn well.