Quick ?s - Whats the diff between DFU restore and normal restore through iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by STC, Sep 30, 2008.

1. STC macrumors 6502a

I keep reading "do a DFU restore" if you want to restore back to stock firmware. What is the difference between DFU Restore and just pushing restore in iTunes? Does DFU restore wipe out the phone better then regular restore?

Last night I restored my 1st gen iPhone via iTunes restore buttons because opening the apps were laggy w/ jailbroken 2.1. Now on stock 2.1 the SMS app is still a bit laggy. If I would have DFU restored instead of "regular' restore, would that have made a difference?

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

A DFU restore and a regular restore are the same, I however am not sure of this 100%:)

3. Eleonardo macrumors newbie

Why would you respond if you're not 100% sure?

DFU stands for Device Firmware Update and gives you the option of restoring the device to a previous, or current I guess if you wanted, firmware. To put the phone in DFU mode, refer to this article:
    Article Link

A regular restore is simply that, restore your phone to a previous backup that you have in iTunes.

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Basically you just said they are the same, as did I.:rolleyes:
    You cannot go back to a previous firmware anymore.
    Gosh, get with the program!
    jk

5. Eleonardo macrumors newbie

Haha. You're right at least not with iTunes 8+

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Yes, :mad:

7. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I assumed a restore is restoring to "out of the box" condition. When its done restoring it gives you the option of setting it as a new phone (which I always did) or restore from a backup.

8. Eleonardo macrumors newbie

You are right, I was a little short in my answer.

A regular recovery will allow to either restore to a previous back-up or select new phone which will basically return your phone to an "out of the box" state.

DFU recovery allows you to go a bit further by allowing you to choose a previous, current or modified firmware, which is apparently no longer a function supported within iTunes version 8 and onward.

9. Jussa macrumors newbie

Difference Between DFU and regular restore

Well, I am no developer, but I have had some PAINFUL :( issues with my iPhone today which made me wonder if I should follow one forum poster's instructions to simply flush the iPhone. It was re-setting every 5 minutes and it would not register with the cellular network, saying "waiting for activation, this may take some time"

I had not (recently) dropped my phone or gotten it wet and it is not jailbroken, so I cant imagine what the problem was, but a regular restore did not fix the problem. A DFU restore did. There is the difference from where I stand!