Quick Screen Sharing Advice Please? (FREE SMILEYS INSIDE!)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by noobey, May 22, 2008.

1. noobey macrumors newbie

hey guys,
    i did a search but could find specifically what i was looking for.
    also, sorry if ive posted in the wrong part of the forum.:eek:

ok so i have a mac pro at home and a macbook air on me when im out. all running leopard 10.5.2.

i recently purchased .mac just to use screen sharing, but im very disappointed with it as it does not work remotely.
    i use an airport extreme, but also have a netgear router to test also.
    i disabled the firewalls on everything and forwarded all the ports listed in a kbase artice i found on apple.com but it still didnt work.
    i also tried restarting the process netauth, no joy!
    i also tried the ichat trick http://allforces.com/2007/11/06/back-to-my-mac-through-ichat/ but that doesnt work either.

anyway, i am going abroad on may 31st and need to connect remotely to my mac pro.

i just tried apple remote desktop (maybe im doing something wrong?:rolleyes:) and it appears to suffer from the same issue as screen sharing and ichat, it works great locally, but remotely..... fails.

i havent tried timbuktu, but wanted your advice guys.

heres what im after;

1-i need a screen sharing app that lets me transfer files between my two macs.

2-im no network merlin, so need something fairly straight forward to set-up.

3-i dont mind leaving the app and macs running 24/7 provided they can update their ext i.p themselves. (when im abroad, if the modem restarts , or something, i wont know what my mac pro i.p is!)

4-give yourself a pat on the back for being so patient with my noobish self and take this free smiley :) as thanks for your help!

thanks for any and all help guys!:D

2. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Obviously screen sharing and back to my mac are the ideal situation, but if they can't be made to work have a look at www.logmein.com. Works with mac's and PC's, it's free for screen sharing and i believe there's a nominal charge for file sharing.

The nice thing i've found about it is that it's relatively stable and connects out from your home network, so no opening of firewall ports.

Cheers
    M.