Quick Security Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pyrotechnic, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

When I visited the Apple Store to see what all the fuss was about with iMacs, the sales/ rep/ advisor took me through all the good bits about using a Mac. He made reference to being invisible on the net and made it sound as though I could operate in "stealth mode". However, I can find no reference for this within these forums.

Was he feeding me a line or does this option exist in some way, shape or form?

2. p.luik macrumors regular

I think he was talking about private browsing on safari. if this is true, searching "private browsing safari" in google should help you learn more.

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Under System Preferences / Security / Firewall if you set "Allow only essential services" and then click Advanced, you can enable Stealth Mode which in addition to denying incoming traffic will not respond at all, so that there is no trace that your machine is even there. Many Windows firewalls (possibly even the built in firewall for XP and Vista) can also do this, so it isn't a major feature differentiating Macs, but it is there.