Quick! Should i buy this tv?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ozreth, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So im at best buy right now and they have a 40" Sony Bravia 1080p 60ghz for $500 (it's an open box item). I'm here looking for a tv but realized im not sure whats a good deal, but have heard good things about Bravias.

Its this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-400-40-Inch-Black/dp/B0035ER1H8

anyways there are other people looking at it too and im scared to walk away from it so some quick responses would be awesome : )

Also, do people typically prefer matte or gloss finish? I think i prefer matte because it would eliminate reflections but im not sure how much picture quality you lose, or if gloss tvs even really get reflections?

2. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

I would pass on it. After you pay tax on it, it's the same price as a BRAND NEW model.

3. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

TVs I would stay away from open boxes. Too much can go wrong with a TV and it is a real hassle to get it changed etc.

4. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I agree about passing on it... But your tax statement makes no sense. He would still have to pay taxes on a brand new model so it would still be cheaper either way.

5. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

I was implying that he purchased a new TV online where he didn't have to pay tax (and hopefully get free shipping) Sorry should have clarified.

6. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

7. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Pretty sure it's an LCD?

Anyways I ended up not buying it but have been perusing around and have yet to find a better deal. Most 40" 1080p's are around $600 and typically have a glossy screen and the body dosen't look as sleek as the bravia.

I may just go back and get it if it is still there. I would be buying a ps3 with it which will give me a $50 gift card so that will bring the price down to $450 and I also have $30 in best buy credit which will cover tax.

Does anybody know of a better deal on a 1080p 40"? I'd really like to get one soon :)

8. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

If there is anything wrong with it, my experience with Sony's customer service has been stellar. I bought a used one (32", though) from eBay, it developed a problem, and I called them about it just to try. Was honest about where it came from, and they still repaired it, and even sent me an advance replacement.

9. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Nice! I'm not really worried about anything happening to it, if it's under warranty it's under warranty. I'm just trying to get the most out of my money.

I'm calling right now to see if it's still there.

10. Wang Foolio macrumors regular

Bet you a dollar that open box return has at least one bad pixel that isn't covered by warranty. You often need to fight for an exchange unless you have a lot of them. That's the one good thing about extended warranty some places offer, some of them allow you unlimited exchanges for a single bad pixel or uneven backlight.

If Sony is really good about these things, even if bought online, then that's awesome news. Their TV's aren't cheap, after all.

Anyway it pays to be a tiny bit paranoid when it comes to TV's. Personally I'm waiting until full array LED TV's come down in price before I even consider a new one.

11. some1uDNTknow macrumors regular

some1uDNTknow

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I'd never get an open box TV, unless we're talking about a small, cheap TV for the kitchen or garage or something.

Pass.

13. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

My parents bought a demo unit from Sam's club last year and never had any issue with it. But yeah, I wouldn't feel good about doing it