quick simple question on getting phone repaired

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xa2elb, Jan 18, 2010.

1. xa2elb macrumors newbie

my phone cracked last week. so my friend gave me his old iphone after he got the new 3gs. (he gave me a 3g). the power button doesnt work. If i go to apple to get it replaced would something go wrong since its his phone? I have all MY stuff syncd on it not his. Thanks

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I´m not exactly sure by what "something go wrong" means in this case.
    Is it under Applecare warranty and you're worried they won't do it for you?

The only thing I can think of that might "go wrong" is that in order change the power button it might get reset to factory defaults. But if you have it synced to your computer, then you'd just restore back to normal afterwards.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

The warranty follows the device, not the owner, so you having the phone now shouldn't be an issue.

As long as the phone is still under warranty, and the damage is covered by warranty (i.e. not physical abuse, etc), and you have an AT&T account, I think you're good to go.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

and if they dont fix it, u can jailbreak it and download sbsettings from cydia. that has the ability to lock, turn off, reboot, respring, and boot into safe mode. give that a try if apple doesnt fix it.