Quick SSD Questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antster94, Dec 2, 2010.

1. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Considering getting an SSD for my MBP.

1) Will it perform as well as the Flash memory in a MBA? They load apps stupidly fast, will the performance of a SSD in my MBP match that?

2) Are they hard to fit?

3) I know there's loads of threads about this, but which would you recommend? I will be getting one for my dad's 13" MBP as well, will they both be the same size?

Thanks a lot.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

1) Most third-party SSDs are faster than ones Apple use (including the one in their MacBook Air)
    2) They are standard size, so they replace you existing HDD.
    3) All the Apple notebooks (with the exception of the MacBook Air) use standardized components. I would recommend either the OWC Mercury Extreme or the OCZ Vertex 2 which uses a fast Sandforce processor. My other choice would be the Intel X25-M.

3. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Thanks for the reply.

But don't Apple mount the SSDs in the MBA directly on the logic board which makes them drastically faster than a conventional SSD?

Also, I've heard the OCZ doesn't work well in a MBP 13". Is that true?

4. Smultie macrumors newbie

No and no.

5. ryanrich macrumors regular

The storage on the new MBA's are more flash storage that has been attached and not an actual SSD in a 2.5" enclosure like you're find in any other laptop, but the speeds should be the same.

Now that I've ordered my 8GB RAM upgrade kit for my MBP, an SSD upgrade is next on the cards. Will need to wait a while longer though because SSD's are insanely expensive in my country...

6. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

Looks like I'll be getting a Crucial 128GB. My MBP should be so fast it screams with this SSD!

7. CW Jones macrumors 6502

I have a OCZ Vertex 2 and love it. I have heard the PCZ having issues with the 2010 13" MBO... BUT form your signature... you have 2.8Ghz i7 which you can't get in a 13" lol so why is that a problem? haha

8. ryanrich macrumors regular

Yup it sure will! The HDD has become the weak spot on high end systems for daily tasks and overall snappiness, and SSD's absolutely fly compared to even the fastest HDD's...

9. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

10. skunnykart macrumors regular

Mid 2010 13 inch MBP does have problems with the Vertex 2.
    Sadly I have experienced this personally and many others also on the OCZ forum.

11. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Therein lies the brilliance of Apple's marketing. If you take a look at the reviews of the MBA, you'll see that the "blade" style flash storage is still slower than the vertex 2.

That being said, there have been quite a few issues with the vertex 2 and 13" as of late.