Quick suggestion for Quote Notifications

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by troop231, Nov 15, 2013.

1. troop231, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

troop231 macrumors 603

I did this in Firebug to make the screenshot. This would be a nice, handy feature to have under the Quick Links, IMO. Let me know if this is a reasonable request and easy enough to implement. Thanks! :)

[​IMG]

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

How is this different than clicking on Your Notifications and clicking Quote Notifications?

3. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

It's alot different. If I refresh a thread and see that someone has quoted me before the notification comes, I have to manually go here: http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=quotenotifications every time to clear them. This should be under quick links.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The amount of clicks and mouse movement to still get to that page from the current setup is no different. You can still get to Quote Notifications when it shows as zero. Having it in the quick links is no different at all.

5. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Actually, it'd be one less click and a heck of a lot less scrolling.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No less clicks for me and no extra scrolling. *mouseover Your Notifications* *click Quote Notifications* Nothing extra.

7. troop231, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Good for you... that's not my point once again. I'm able to see the quotes in the thread when I refresh it manually, and the notifications should clear out automatically before they trigger so I don't have to click on Quick Links, then click Edit signature, then scroll to the bottom and click on Quote Notifications underneath 'miscellaneous' on the left hand side, hence my point again for adding it under Quick Links.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If your end goal is to get to that page (this one http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=quotenotifications) do what I posted. Minimal clicks and no scrolling needed. Even if the count shows as zero in the Your Notifications drop down, you can still click it and be taken to that page. No need for a link under Quick Links when there's already a quick link on every page.

9. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

The only problem is I don't have a Your Notifications option, as I'm faster than the system can trigger that appearing, but when I manually go to: http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=quotenotifications

The new notifications are there, hence the reason I go there to 'clear' them if you will so the system won't show me them later. :)

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you don't have the option as seen in the screen shot, your browser may not support the menu in the correct way or you may have Javascript turned off.
    Pending.png

11. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

That's not what I'm saying. Yes I have that option once the site 'triggers' that I have a notification, but it turns out I find the notifications myself way before the website notifies me, hence me having to go here manually http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=quotenotifications

I'm not very good at explaining things via the internet lol :eek:

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That option is always there, regardless if there is a quote notification or not. The link will always be there, nothing needs to be triggered for it to appear. If you don't always see it, your browser doesn't support it or Javascript is turned off. Try it with a different browser or a different computer.

13. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Hmm, it's not there for me in Safari or Firefox (On Mavericks) All it says is: Private Message instead.

Screenshot:

[​IMG]

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Let's revisit my previous posts:
    I see it with Chrome, IE 5.1 and 9, Firefox, Safari 5 and 6, Classilla, and iOS Safari.

15. troop231, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Browsers are stock so it wouldn't be turned off. Edit: Doesn't work in Chrome either (just downloaded it)

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You will only see what Intell posted a picture of when you have an available Quote Notification. When there are no new notifications, all you see is Private Messages.

17. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

And that's my point once again, the site doesn't trigger them fast enough.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Bookmark this link in your browser and you can check it at will at any time.