Quick summary of my (non-dev) user experience with iOS5 beta 1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by J Griz 757, Jun 11, 2011.

1. J Griz 757 macrumors regular

J Griz 757

To start, I'm not a dev, and my iPhone4 is my primary phone, and very important. The beta 1 release is overall very very reliable (at least it was for me) for a initial beta release.

Of course iOS5 at this early stage has numerous glitches, but none that were detrimental to my use of the phone. The led notification, is a nice touch, but too bright imo (I'm almost positive iP5 will have it's own notification light). I'm completely happy with the new notifications, and the the drop down widget/notification center. Obviously wireless sync isn't working effectively yet, but you don't need to use it to know it's a welcome addition.

I will however be reverting back to 4.3.3 for now, but for those on the fence, and are like me, impatient, I say try it. You can't access all the new features now, but the ones you can are nice, and it will get you used to what to expect at this point.

I guess the point of me starting this thread, was to show those that aren't professionals like me, but can get on iOS5, and are on the fence, that imho it's worth a try. And it's not as bad as a lot of people are b1tching and making it out to be. As well all know, it is beta1. I'll go back at beta 2.

2. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Pretty much agree with everything there. But I really can't be asked with the hassle to downgrade and put everything back on my phone so I'm going to stick beta 1 out :D

3. shandyman Suspended

i'm using beta 1 and have been since tuesday, i only have 1 app that doesn't work and that was national rail, it's running perfectly for me. the only features not working is wifi sync and newsstand

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i tried it, loved it, but couldnt be without my JB. i reverted back to 4.3.3. i am now in the process of JB beta 1.. hopefully in the next couple days apps will start to work and ill keep beta 1. i love apples new set up screen with ios 5. great way to be PC free from get go with awesome (imo) graphics and UI

5. J Griz 757 thread starter macrumors regular

J Griz 757

So far everyone's comments are a breath of fresh air for me on these forums.

Too many people were just ranting and ranting and complaining about a beta1 I couldn't believe it. I understand talking about a glitch is one thing at this stage, but all the complaints about everything were really starting to annoy me.

Either way, I have a few apps (ringtone maker, netflix, a few others) that were able to function at all, so it was enough for me to go back to 4.3.3. I'm already used to, and like, my notifications in iOS5 so I wont be surprised if I'm back to iOS5 before the weekend is over :D

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I did the same. I got by a couple on beta 1 and played around with calendar notifications hoping there'd be a way for them to stay on the lockscreen after the initial alert and had no luck.

Can't live without my Lockinfo. :eek:

7. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I love the beta 1. I've only been using the notification center for 2 days and im definitely not going back.

Just a word of advice. Don't turn on the cloud or it will lag up your phone. Whether this is because all of the servers aren't on, or there are just still some bugs to work out, it's definitely pretty laggy. Like I couldn't even turn my screen off, it took like 15 seconds to register.

Other than that, it's definitely awesome. None of my friends have the beta, so I couldn't use iMessage, but I'm expecting that to be cool as well.

I would definitely recommend iOS5 beta. Besides, there will be a Beta 2 out within two weeks most likely (if history repeats itself) and most of the major bugs will be fixed.

8. shandyman Suspended

iCloud is working fine for me.

9. J Griz 757 thread starter macrumors regular

J Griz 757

Hmm I never turned off iCloud, and just figured the lag was just the beta iOS... Haha I'm almost done restoring to 4.3.3 right now, and will probably not be satisfied at all.

10. Siggen macrumors 6502

My g/f didnt want the beta (im in the dev program), mainly cause all the features of iOS she wants are available in cydia (mostly camerabutton and notifications). So she is on 4.3.3 jb'ed at least till an unthethered jb is available.

I dont have an iPhone (or i dont use my old 3G) but im happy and snappy on my iPad2 with iOS5. I could however live with a jb thethered if it gave me cydia.

iOS5 is so promising, software wise im difinitley interested in the iPhone 5, but im eagerly waiting for the speccs before deciding if il get it at release.

11. shandyman Suspended

did you set up as new or restore from backup? as mine lagged when restoring from backup, but since setting up as new, it's been spot on

12. J Griz 757 thread starter macrumors regular

J Griz 757

I would set up as new, but then restore it from back up, as I didn't know how to get the pictures from my camera roll synced to the new setup :eek:

13. shandyman Suspended

theres your problem. that's what i did and it was laggy. but did it totally as fresh worked fine. just export your camera roll pics before, so you don't lose them when setting up as new.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I've been wanting to use iCloud, but I can't because I can't upgrade my touch to iOS5.

Fall is so far away with these great features so close!:(

15. hdmdc macrumors newbie

I'm also not a dev and im using IOS 5 ATM.

Icloud working good, and for a regular use (texting, pics, phone calls) I don't normally have problems, expect one or other bug.

As I never had tested any IOS beta before i cant really compare the stability of it regarding other IOS Betas.

But for a user who wants the new features and doesn't mind a app crash or a glitch now and then then its ok:)

16. shandyman Suspended

National Rail app is now working under Beta 2! :D i can get rid of that substandard thetrainline.com app now!