Quick Synology backup usage question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dvdchance, Jan 17, 2013.

1. dvdchance macrumors regular

I'm looking to power down my Synology in order to connect my new UPS to it, but I'm wondering of this will cause my external USB backups to be totally recreated? Since the initial full backup it now only does whats changed nightly.

2. TheRocketmac macrumors member

TheRocketmac

Nope. Offline the backup on OS X, power down the NAS and start up regularly. I assume you're using time machine or CCC? Just make sure the mount point comes back (visible in finder) before starting the backup app.

3. dvdchance thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply first off, it is appreciated.

I didn't really make myself clear in my first post what I'm backing up it seems.

I'm referring to using external USB drives attached to the Synology to backup the shared folders on the NAS itself.

When I first created the various backup tasks the first time it ran of course it had to backup the whole folder. Took a long time on USB2. Subsequent backups are quick as they just update whats changed in the folder.

I'm wondering if I power down my NAS will it redo the backups in full like they were just created, or the quick only what's changed backups they have been doing since?

4. TheRocketmac macrumors member

TheRocketmac

Thanks for the clarification. Still shouldn't cause an issue. Just make sure you disable the backup job before removing the external disk and powering-down the NAS. I've done this before on my 1511 running dsm 3.1 and don't recall having to run a full backup again.