Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Portrait orientation is underrated. It's really useful for writing to be able to see a couple pages at once, since most software still doesn't support side-by-side page layout very well.

Now websites are narrow-portrait but screens are widescreen 16:9... so you end up with a ton of wasted space. macOS window snapping is also incredibly dismal without BetterSnapTool.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I do translations from Russian to English so I put the Russian text on one portrait monitor and use the other for the English translation with Microsoft Word. I use a 2015 MacBook Pro to drive two Samsung 24" 2160x3840 UHD monitors in pixel doubled mode (looks like 1080x1920). I just wish more high resolution 16:10 format monitors were available.
I think most Dell monitor stands pivot 90°. I had an old LCD that didn't look so hot rotated -- I think it was a TN panel optimized for horizontal viewing maybe -- but I suspect a good IPS screen wouldn't have the same issue?
[doublepost=1520479296][/doublepost]
Now websites are narrow-portrait but screens are widescreen 16:9... so you end up with a ton of wasted space. macOS window snapping is also incredibly dismal without BetterSnapTool.
Huge fan of BetterSnapTool! I don't use it as much as I should, but it's very powerful.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
FINALLY these companies are getting it.

I have United Health Care and my work itself already offers some benefits such as $450 in cash incentives for completing certain health related challenges and training throughout the year. It's fairly easy to do but has gotten slightly more difficult each year since inception a few years ago. The first year it was available I used that to fund my first Apple Watch. Subsequent years I put it towards other tech gear. This year it's going towards an Apple Watch Series 4 to replace my Series 0 that has gone downhill in battery life.

I wonder if I'll be able to combine this new $1000/yr thing with my work incentive, or if this will replace it. Either way it's great news. I easily hit these goals all the time (unless it's really cold or really hot outside or I'm sick) and I don't even consider myself to be very fit. But I'm getting better and have lost 30lbs by walking more each day, increasing fiber intake and cutting some calories at lunch time. I have 20lbs left to go before my doctor says I'm in a healthy weight zone. But I already feel a big difference this year coming out of winter and able to more quickly get back to my pre-holiday weight with an extra spring in my step. I thought I was doomed to declining health for the rest of my life but Apple Watch helped me turn that around. It's a lifesaver.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
- Macintosh Portrait Display released on this day in 1989:

macintosh-portrait-display.jpg

Ideal for all those people who shoot their iPhone videos in portrait mode!

Reactions: Morod

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
I had a MPD and one of the two-page displays for a while It was awesome for writing code. I miss greyscale monitors, they actually are nicer than the newfangled color monitors of today.

Does anyone know how to just make one monitor greyscale? Accessibility only allows you to make them all greyscale.

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
How about being radical Apple? Give us a laptop with a screen where the vertical resolution exceeds the Horizontal one.

Not all of us view HD movies. Infact, I have never viewed a movie on my laptop...
But I do spend a lot of time scrolling up and down. Guess why eh?

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Agree with the kudos to UHC on the watch program. Hopefully Cigna gets with the program and offers something like this soon!

The “F” goal seems odd though. 500 steps is a bit over once around a track, which is easy enough to do six times (1.5 miles of walking; easy) but each lap needs to be an hour apart? The duration is too long of the required frequency too high to be a sustainable fitness practice IMHO. Still, I’d give it a shot.

Intensity goal seems like a brisk 30-minute walk. And of course if you’re getting that 3k plus the other 3k hitting 10k steps in the day shouldn’t be much of a stretch for an active person, although obviously not natural either. I just hope there is some kind of reminder app that goes along with this so you don’t have to do the steps math all yourself every day.

Overall, it seems like they are setting the goals to keep people from regularly achieving them, which is fine so long as that doesn’t lead to discouragement. Strength trainers who are not 100% focused on cardio every day obviously need not apply.

pppx3

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2016
Ok, who remembers the Radius Pivot display???

Wait, who remembers WYSIWYG ?? Bwaha... who remembers printed publications? So sad. Apple used to be so relevant, leaders of the pack, but now it's same same...

Reactions: Lesser Evets

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Looks like my company's UnitedHealthcare plan doesn't have UHC Motion - I don't think it's widely available. There's also a comment on The Verge's article from a guy who works for a Fortune 500 company that also doesn't have it.

Does anyone actually have it or are they just making a huge press release about something nobody can get anyway?

Last edited:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Is Apple still a computer company? o_O

No, and they communicated that very clearly when they dropped "computer" from their name. It seems that they only still produce Macs so that people can use Xcode to write software for iOS...

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Before my first Mac I had a Commodore 64 and the option was green or orange monochrome monitor.

Were you specifically looking to get a monochrome monitor? Because you could connect the C64 to any TV set at the time, and there were multicolour monitors available, too.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
The Macintosh IIci (and IIcx, Quadra 700) case is probably my favourite Macintosh form factor. While I never had the portrait display, the portrait orientation is extremely useful in many respects. Hmmm...maybe I need to add one to the collection...

episodex

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2017
It would be great for watching vertical videos that mostly Apple users are taking all the time!

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Anyone complaining that high-end iPhones/iPads are "too expensive" should recall that monitor:
A mere "portrait oriented" grayscale low-res monitor cost $2,196.82 in today's dollars. A top-end supercomputer cost $84,000,000.
Now a top-end ultra-thin "retina" display is half that AND they throw in a 100x then-supercomputer _plus_ staggeringly fast long-range wireless networking for free.

Reactions: Lesser Evets

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
- Macintosh Portrait Display released on this day in 1989: The 15-inch display was released for $1,099 alongside the Macintosh IIcx. The grayscale monitor featured a vertical orientation designed to show full pages on a single screen, making it useful for desktop publishing.

I'm familiar with that model. Knew a couple of inhouse communications departments that used it. It and "desktop publishing" were nostalgic milestones, neither of which I miss. Especially the latter and all of the amateurish crap that littered the corporate landscape for over a decade.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
- Ireland chooses Bank of New York Mellon to manage Apple's escrow fund: The European Commission ruled in August 2016 that Apple received illegal state aid from Ireland, and ordered the country to collect 15 billion euros (currently $18.6 billion) in back taxes from the iPhone maker.

Apple-EU.jpg

Commentary: The Bank of New York Mellon will hold the funds while Apple and Ireland both appeal the decision before the European General Court. Apple expects the amount will be reported as restricted cash on its balance sheet.

Since when does Apple have to pay €15 billion, it's €13 billion.

------

I am quite amazed there is just one comment posted here regarding the above issue.

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
My Iici was one my favorite Macs ever! The faster cooler brother of the IIcx.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Were you specifically looking to get a monochrome monitor? Because you could connect the C64 to any TV set at the time, and there were multicolour monitors available, too.

Yes, I know. I was living at the time and understood how my computer worked. I was in high school. TVs in the early 80s were not inexpensive as you recall. OTOH monochrome monitors were very cheap. So, yes, specifically looking for monochrome monitor.

TalkAboutApple

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Portrait rocks if you are stuck with a small screen for reading/writing. Which the industry did to us as a prank 10 years ago and no one caught it, calling it "FullHD".

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
TVs in the early 80s were not inexpensive as you recall. OTOH monochrome monitors were very cheap. So, yes, specifically looking for monochrome monitor.

I actually didn't realize that monitors were cheaper than TVs back then. My C64 was connected to an old, discarded set from my parents, and I always imagined that a dedicated and "professional" monitor would be more expensive than a plain old TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.