Quick Takes: (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, or iPhone X?

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In addition to our standalone articles covering the latest Apple news and rumors at MacRumors, this Quick Takes column provides a bite-sized recap of other headlines about Apple and its competitors on weekdays.

Friday, March 23

1. (PRODUCT)RED edition iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and/or iPhone X very soon? Steve Hemmerstoffer, who runs the OnLeaks account on Twitter, says at least one red-colored iPhone might be released soon. However, he says his source is unverified, so treat this rumor with a dose of skepticism.

[​IMG]
    (PRODUCT)RED edition iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus

Rosenblatt Securities analyst Jun Zhang also said Apple may release a (PRODUCT)RED edition of the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and/or iPhone X. A year ago this week, Apple unveiled a special (PRODUCT)RED edition of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, so there's certainly some precedence to suggest this rumor may be true.

2. Apple edits iPhone X ad that captured an animation glitch: A week ago, 9to5Mac's Benjamin Mayo noticed the iPhone X ad "Unlock" captured a minor bug causing some text to briefly appear outside of notification bubbles on the lock screen. The bug can be seen in the tweet below or in GIF form over at The Verge.

As it turns out, Apple has quietly edited the video to remove any evidence of the glitch, somehow without re-uploading it to its YouTube channel. The irony is that Apple hasn't fixed the bug in the latest iOS 11.3 beta, but given the attention it has now received, expect that to change soon.

Apple's edited iPhone X ad "Unlock"

For more Apple news and rumors coverage, visit our Front Page, Mac Blog, and iOS Blog. Also visit our forums to join in the discussion.

Article Link: Quick Takes: (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, or iPhone X?

2. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

There won’t be no product red iPhone this year it’s a glass back come on

3. HobeSoundDarryl, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If Apple says it's red, it's RED! ;)

Besides, when I do a search for "red glass," I get back a ton of matches of apparently red glass. For example...

[​IMG]

...and this one...

[​IMG]

...which apparently depicts the first guy forced to depend on either Siri or Apple Maps. :eek:

Just kidding: Siri is a perfect virtual assistant in every possible way and Apple Maps never, ever leads me to a wrong destination. Those are tears of joy at the privilege of getting to partake of Siri & Maps;)

4. ocnitsa macrumors 6502

A little ornate, but I’d go for that color scheme.

5. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

X obviously,

the 6 body already had its fun with the (red) -- by that I mean 7/7+

they're probably wanting to move more X units than 8 too, more margin

6. toph2toast macrumors 6502a

They have 2 color options for the X, it wouldn't be difficult to add another one.

7. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I wish they would make a Product Red phone with a black face. Red and black is such an awesome combination... Red and white, not so much.

8. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

The bug of text showing up outside of intended space is also plaguing some games too.

9. robjulo macrumors 65816

Why not just call it “Red” rather than adding the ridiculous “product” prefix?

10. Poofy1971 macrumors newbie

It is because “Product Red” is the brand under which corporates can release items to support the brand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_Red?wprov=sfti

11. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Hahaha they changed the ad!!? Awesome! I did mention in the other post, if we want to improve iOS before a WWDC, all the big media companies should write an article or post a video depicting various bugs. We should share it to them, so that they can make those bugs public. And magically all the bugs will be fixed by Apple... because ... well... their reputation

12. alex00100 macrumors 6502

13. sublunar macrumors 6502a

14. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

15. UnionVGF macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

I really wish they would offer this color at launch.

16. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Huh? I didn't know Apple had a fully transparent glass phone. You do realize that there's a colour under the glass right? They can make them any colour they want.

17. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

I’m still waiting for the Apple, Nike, Jordan brand “bred” iPhone ;)

18. splogue macrumors 6502

splogue

All they have to do is either paint the back side of the glass or tint the glass itself, as they do with the space gray versions.

I'm actually astonished that a company named "apple" doesn't make every product available in a candy apple red color. Seems like an enormous missed opportunity to me.

Sean

19. prasand, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018

prasand macrumors 6502

prasand

Not sure how credible them silently changing the ad without uploading is. The day Macrumors posted about the ad, people mentioned the message grouping feature in the forum thread. I specifically remember the message being grouped inside of the bubble, and I think the comments about the grouping in the forums would have addressed the broken bubble, if that existed in the ad then.

So, unless this happened before the Macrumors post, I’m calling this false / sarcasm taken seriously by MR.

20. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

I love the look of Product Red, but I don’t see the point when these things are so fragile that they need cases, which you can get in any color you want.