Quick Takes: Smartwatches to Have More Than Just 15 Minutes of Fame as GymKit Rollout Continues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In addition to our standalone articles covering the latest Apple news and rumors at MacRumors, this Quick Takes column provides a bite-sized recap of other headlines about Apple and its competitors on weekdays.

Tuesday, March 20

Highlights

1. IDC forecasts that smartwatch shipments will nearly double within four years: IDC believes smartwatches will account for almost two out of every five wearable devices shipped in 2022, with an estimated 84.1 million shipments that year, compared to an estimated 43.6 million units in 2018.

[​IMG]

Commentary: Apple Watch is the world's most popular smartwatch by a significant margin, having outsold all competing smartwatches combined in 2017, and there's no sign that momentum will slow down.

2. Stack Overflow releases the results of its 2018 developer survey: The results, based on over 100,000 respondents from around the world, outline this year's most loved, dreaded, and wanted technologies and platforms, how developers around the world code, learn, live, and work, and more.

Apple-related highlights:
    26.7 percent of developers said macOS is their primary operating system for work, versus 49.9 percent for Windows
    iOS was the most loved mobile operating system for development, with 64.6 percent of respondents expressing interest in continuing to develop for the platform, versus 63.8 percent for Android
    Developers using Apple's open source Swift programming language earned a median salary of $57,000 in the United States, versus a leading $74,000 for programming language F#

3. Introducing IBM Watson Services for Core ML: The service enables corporate developers to build iPhone and iPad apps that leverage IBM Watson models via Apple's Core ML framework. Apple says these apps can quickly analyze images, accurately classify visual content, and easily train models.

[​IMG]

Commentary: This service is an expansion of a four-year-old enterprise partnership between Apple and IBM that has led to over 100 new business apps tailored to industries such as healthcare, finance, and transportation.

Other Links
    Amazon surpasses Alphabet in market value: As of writing, Amazon has a market cap of around $765 billion, while Google parent company Alphabet stands at around $760 billion. Amazon is now the world's second most valuable company behind Apple and its $890 billion.
    Dutch mobile bank bunq launches in Italy and Spain with Apple Pay support: Unfortunately, Apple Pay has yet to launch in the Netherlands itself. But, this seems like a small step forward.
    Technogym now has more than 5,000 GymKit-enabled pieces of equipment in hundreds of fitness clubs across the world: Apple plans to roll out GymKit to 80 percent of the fitness equipment market, allowing one-tap pairing with an Apple Watch for more accurate fitness data.
    For more Apple news and rumors coverage, visit our Front Page, Mac Blog, and iOS Blog. Also visit our forums to join in the discussion.

Article Link: Quick Takes: Smartwatches to Have More Than Just 15 Minutes of Fame as GymKit Rollout Continues

2. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I always wonder why developers need to use MacOS or Windows to develop for iOS (or Android). When will developers just start writing code and developing on iOS itself? Won't Apple consider that a huge step in their vision of a iOS driven computing for all needs?

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Solid growth but not really blazing barn burner game changer. Still an accessory. Compare: When iPhone was 7 years old (the same age IDC is predicting AW sales will be 84 million per year) iPhone was selling 70 million a quarter and iPhone's starting price then was about the same price after subsidy as AW is now.

This is not to knock AW. I love mine. But I think people blow sales out of context. It's an evolution, not a revolution like iPod or iPhone.

4. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Just wanted to throw out that the MR: Quick Takes posts have been solid. Keep it up!

5. MrBat macrumors regular

MrBat

The day Apple makes it rounded, like a classic watch, I'll consider it.

6. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Lots of Dutch bank bunq account holders were pretty exited about Apple Pay coming to The Netherlands (And Germans too), guess they are being disappointed now.
    Also, wasn't Apple Pay not already in Spain, so Bunq was just another bank supporting it in Spain.

7. MarkB786 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't expect this to happen anytime soon. The shape is now recognizable on the street as the Apple Watch shape. I like the Samsung round design and functionality a lot better. The Gear Frontier just looks classy whether I'm wearing a suit or jeans. And I can easily switch to a watch face that is dressy, casual, or sporty.

8. chucker23n1 macrumors 65816

chucker23n1

So, what on earth are they even talking about? A whole lot of random stuff, it seems. For some reason, a "basic watch" is a different thing to them as a "basic wristband", yet a "smart wristband" is lumped into the "Others" category and is somehow a completely different thing than a smart watch.

Then we have "Earwear" (e.g., AirPods?) and "Clothing" (the Levi's/Google jacket?), both of which are for some reason expected to explode in unit sales.

Basically, what we have here is the intern who said Windows Phone would take over iOS to become the second-biggest smartphone OS has returned to tell a story about stuff he sticks to his body. Luckily, sex toys were silently lumped under "Others".

9. Crow_Servo macrumors member

Crow_Servo

The funny thing is I don’t really desperately desire an Apple Watch, but I want them to give me a reason to desperately desire an Apple Watch. I don’t know what they need to add to it to make it more desirable, but so far it’s not there yet. Good thing I’m not filling out a survey for them about it, because my advise seems super vague. Just wow me, Apple. I don’t know what you could do to wow me, but that’s my input.

10. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

Samsung functionality? Running Tizen and limited in Apps?

My AW3 has LTE and 50M water resistance. You can’t even get that in any Samsung Gear watch. And my running App of choice isn’t available on Tizen. To add to that I get 16GB of storage to boot (instead of 4GB on Samsung). For the money AW gives you far more than anyone else.

11. MrBat macrumors regular

MrBat

I'm not really into smart watches, I consider them more or less a "gimmick". This one you mentioned though, looks appealing, very appealing.

12. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

iOS continuing its domination in enterprise.

13. Relentless Power, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I don’t believe Apple is going to consider a round Apple Watch. Given how the current design displays information and Jonny Ive commented how he Believes a round design actually doesn’t make sense in terms of a smart watch. I personally find the current Apple Watch design appealing, but I would be open to a larger display, such as a 44 mm option.

14. Baymowe335 macrumors 65816

You mean the Watch prognosticators were wrong? You don't say?

Apple Watch is a huge success.

15. MrBat macrumors regular

MrBat

As the current Apple Watch design stands, looks to me like a small screen slapped onto your wrist. Conceptually speaking, I see a wristwatch as the classic rounded sphere. Maybe it's because I'm getting old and just won't accept designs that go against my assumptions of what things are and are supposed to be.

Other than Apple though, seems like the majority of Android smartwatch makers keep the spherical structure.

Gotta admit, before I was quoted upper up on this thread I did not even know about the S3 frontier. Seems there's even available metal bands on amazon. I'm digging that one, quite a lot. Looks like your average Chrono watch. :eek:

16. MarkB786 macrumors 6502

Yes, it is very good. The available watch faces are amazing and the overall watch functions are excellent.

17. mariusignorello Suspended

The day they make regular barbells with GymKit built in for tracking reps and other important information like whether or not the bar is straight, tempo of reps, etc. then I’ll pick up an Apple Watch. But I hardly use cardio equipment which is what it seems like this is targeted for.

18. MarkB786 macrumors 6502

Actually, my Frontier has LTE (I take calls on it frequently). The Gear had LTE before the Apple Watch, and we have it without the battery drain issues some AW3 owners experience. I owned the AW1 and AW2, so yes I am qualified to say that the Frontier is much more functional. Easier to use, plenty of apps, looks better, etc. Plus, I got the Frontier from AT&T for $49 with a 2-yr LTE contract. That sure beats the heck out of the AW price. Battery life is better too. The water resistant to 50m is something I hope Samsung will introduce in the Gear S4.

19. Brandhouse macrumors regular

Devs coding in Swift for iOS make a medium of $57K in the US?! What a joke, if I were a dev I wouldn't be turning to the US with the expectation of thinking I'd make a decent living.

20. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

Second this! I've really been enjoying them!

21. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Apple’s vision is to make computing more accessible to the masses. The average consumer isn’t using their computer to code apps in their spare time, and you don’t miss what you don’t need.

Macs still exist for app developers and I think it fits Apple’s current paradigm very well. iPads for general purpose use, Macs for more niche and powerful scenarios.

22. paulro macrumors member

As far as fitness trackers go, the Apple watch is a nice looking, functional gadget.
    The problem is, that when you compare it to most mechanical watches, it looks awful.
    It also isn't as nice to use as the smartphone that it is tethered to for 90% of the time.
    The Apple watch's strength therefore, is as a fitness tracker. £300-£400 is a lot to pay for a fitness tracker.

23. atmenterprises macrumors 6502

Kinda depends on where you live, right? The cost of living can vary substantially from city-to-city.

24. -BigMac- macrumors demi-god

-BigMac-

Do you also want your iPhone to have a black and white 1inch screen and physical keyboard? you know, like a classic mobile phone

25. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Well what did you expect? How often do people buy watches? When I was young I used to collect Swatch watches so I bought a new one every year. Everybody else bought watches every 5 or 10 years.

When I switched to more "adult" swiss watches I stopped when I got four different designs, a chronometer, a diver, a sporty and a classic one. Have not bought any other watch in ages. People don't buy them like smartphones every other year.