Quick test from a couple 2.2ghz macbook pro owners needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by senorfrog97, Feb 18, 2008.

1. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

I just got my new mbp and I'm hearing a noise from it that is annoying me in my quiet apartment. I need to find out if it's completely normal.

So the test - while you're in a silent atmosphere put your ear a couple inches away from the delete key. Do you hear a continuous buzzing noise?

I can hear it just enough to annoy me while doing regular computing in a quiet space, so you should easily be able to hear it with your ear closer. It's definitely coming from the right side.

2. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I sorta hear a fan or it could be the hard drive whirring. But no "bzz."

3. tracetritt macrumors member

just the hard drive is all i hear. no specific bzz that you mentioned

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i hear a slight buzz but it dosent matter how quiet it was in here id never hear it without holding the thing to my ear...and i dont get a lot of computing done that way...but it is right where the right fan is located

5. senorfrog97 thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm maybe it's not normal - I can definitely hear it still sitting here with the TV on, even though it's pretty faint

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

8. senorfrog97 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe that's it. What does it sound like? Is it a consistent noise that is always present whenever the computer is on?

9. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Yeah bro, I have that sound, and it is normal. I've only had my new MBP for 3 weeks and I've had that faint sound from the get go, and after holding my ear up to the delete key it seems like it is coming from that area.

10. senorfrog97 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh well I can live with it. Weird that my 4 year old Dell is quieter though :confused:

11. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

It's a 4 year old Dell so its deffinitly going to be quieter. Pick up any modern duel core laptop and its going to make some noise. The MBP is actually much quieter then most laptops until the fan really ramps up and even then its quieter then fans of other ones. I wouldn't worry about that sound mine makes the same one. I never notice it unless I'm youtubing or doing super processor intensive tasks.

12. senorfrog97 thread starter macrumors regular

The sound from mine is consistent and the same whether I'm browsing the web or doing intensive processing. Why do you only notice it during those times?

13. mchank macrumors regular

Mine has it, like a very low electrical hum near the top right.

14. senorfrog97 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, exactly. Thanks for the help everyone.

15. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

My Macbook (santa rosa) runs almost silent except when I'm playing WoW. Then the fan kicks in to cool things down. I'm at work, so can't listen to it now, but maybe your fan is stuck on in a sort of higher than normal running mode.

16. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Yeah, it is. You got your answer already though, just didn't want to completely ignore your question.

17. barijazz macrumors 6502

Then take it to an apple store and get it checked out. I hear a soft noise but it's more the noise you hear when everything is silent. Are you doing heavy computing? or something that could cause this?

18. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

19. mchank macrumors regular

I don't know if this is good or bad though; maybe we both got bad computers lol. I've actually tried hearing the hum at my local Best Buy but it was too noisy .

20. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

I really only notice it during those times because the fan ramps up therefore getting louder. Decoding flash video takes alot of processing power so its gonna heat up and in that case is going to need more cooling aka a louder fan sound.

21. senorfrog97 thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm

Nope I haven't even done any heavy computing on it yet - just basic stuff. I may try taking it to the store if I find more people on here who has one that doesn't have that noise. mchank described it spot on so there must be more out there. Apple person will probably say it's normal since it's not really that loud

Both fans right around 2000rpm. Try listening to yours when it's at low temps. Right ear to the delete key. Continuous electrical buzz or anything?

Possibly. I saw this apple recall doc http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303365 but I'm not sure if it's related. :confused: Try taking yours to an Apple genius and let me know what they say :D

22. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Ya im on a 2.5 MBP and i can hear this buzzing noise when im using it on my lap, so my ears are about 1 1/2 feet away from it and it is very annoying.

23. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

nothing on mine as well.
    can you record it and post the recording?
    i tihnk it's more helpful for you and the members

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I dont hear anything, my mbp is completely silent. But if I put my ear right under the delete key (actually touch my ear on it) I hear the fan noise but no buzzz...