Quick thoughts from a recent switcher

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bdemers, Jun 12, 2007.

1. bdemers macrumors newbie

I don't want to drag this out... but just wanted to share the simple feelings of satisfaction I've been having since my iMac arrived around 3 weeks ago.

My first, and biggest surprise is that everything is prettier on Macs. Programs, like Google Notifier have a significantly improved interface over their Windows versions.

Things run smoothly, the transition has been virtually seamless, and most importantly, simple. I've managed to find alternatives for every application I had on Windows, (with the exception of some engineering software, which I run through VMWare) Even more importantly, this new platform has opened me up to entirely new software like MacTheRipper and QuickSilver, that I've never had before.

The quality of freeware/shareware here has been stunningly excellent.

Lastly, and I hope this sums up my experience... I was watching the WWDC keynote in QuickTime last night, when it suddenly hit me that for the past three weeks, I had been operating exclusively on a Mac, with zero PC contact. The foreign world so many of us PC users were afraid to enter is actually quite friendly, and easy to navigate. In retrospect, there was nothing scary about this transition at all.

It's been a wonderful first three weeks, and I can't wait to discover what new joys this computer will bring to me tomorrow!

2. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Welcome to the world of Macs. This is pretty much how I felt when I used a Mac Mini early last year. Look at me now ;-)

3. 66217 Guest

Yeah, at first I didn't wanted a Mac because I thought I would not be able to live without Windows.

So when BootCamp was announced I was very happy. But now I don't use BootCamp that much. I think I haven't used it for about a month.:)

4. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I didn't buy a Mac myself until boot camp came out; I just used my friend's old Mini.

I've been using OS X 99% of the time, only use Windows now at work and my desktop. I happily removed Boot Camp last month when school let out for the summer. I wouldn't have even used it then if I didn't have a course that required Visual Studio.