Quick thoughts on playing LittleBigPlanet

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by acrafton, Oct 19, 2008.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

I posted this on the PS3 forum earlier today. . .thought you may be interested:

As I posted earlier, I got a rental (which I will buy) from Blockbuster on Thursday and have been playing it quite a bit with my kids. Here are my thoughts - no flames pls, just giving my opinion:

* The game is a lot of fun. It is silly, cute, and a pleasure to play.
    * The games is VERY simple. I mean really simple. It makes Rachit and Clank look like the Manhattan Project.
    - There are only three actions - jump, grab, and run
    - It is closer to a kids game than and adult game, IMO
    * My seven year old and his buddies FLY through the levels - often in minutes. And yes, they do get most everything (probably average 80%+ per level)
    * Graphics are great, as is sound and gameplay, very smooth.
    * Multiplayer rocks. It respawns dead/lost players at regular portal intervals so that the best player and the worst can actually have fun while playing together
    - I did not really notice the camera issues with multiplayer
    - Obviously I am only playing local as there are no network servers online
    * Level creator - very well done. While it is very time consuming to build a level it is still easy. This may be the saving point of the game - giving it long playability.
    - I went through several of the tutorials and laid out a very simple level - very simple and it took approx an hour with no custom music
    * Decorating - this is fun for a few times around but after that, unless you are a teenage girl, dressing up your sackboy is not really much fun (same with stickers, etc.)

So, net/net - the game is a lot of fun but unless there are a LOT of levels, really good levels, that continue to come out gameplay is very limited. One of the official reviewers put gameplay at 6 hours and for me, a casual gamer, this is about right - maybe 8 but no more than that. . .Online play may take it up a notch, and I suspect it will.

So, overall, the game is great but keep in mind it is limited (no skill settings, very simple game play) and for future playability there will have to be a steady stream of additional levels to keep it interesting.

2. badlydrawn macrumors newbie

badlydrawn

Thanks for those pointers.

I am on a 'wait and see' hold pattern. There were some interesting levels being made in the beta, so if even a small percentage of LBP players make a few great levels - that would be huge.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've not played the beta but it sounds like this could be another Portal, what I'm really hoping for is a continuous supply of levels that are easily accessible from within the game (Portal's biggest downfall IMO).

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Beta was very good, shame about the delay, have to wait until the 31st now :(

5. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

31st? Gamestop tells me the 28.

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Im in the Uk, US Gets it on the 28th.

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Ya.... kinda thought that after I posted ;). It used to be a worldwide release date, now I'm still confused/annoyed.